403 Forbidden - Host Problem

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

403 Forbidden - Host Problem

Postby Shafe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am

I'm using 1and1 hosting and for some reason I can't get this or any other news updating scripts to work. I CHMODed everything and uploaded in ASCII using SmartFTP, but whenever I try to access the www.yourdomain.com/coranto/coranto.cgi I get "Error 403 - Forbidden You tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges." This was happening in another folder and the support team simply told me to add "Options +Indexes" to the top of the .htaccess file. I did that, I can view the coranto folder now, but I can't access the coranto.cgi. I've tried 755 and 777.

Any thoughts?
Shafe

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:06 pm

It's surely an issue with how the server is set up to run cgi scripts. You should ask the support team how to run them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Shafe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:01 pm

Shafe

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Not very helpful, I'm afraid. You sure that permissions are OK, even on the directories? Try with a simple perl script first, and experiment.

Sorry not to be of any help, but this is what you're paying your host for and I really don't have a clue how they have set up their server...
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby Shafe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:07 pm

I'm pretty sure custom CGI scripts weren't allowed. I dropped them and got GoDaddy.
Shafe

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:36 pm

I run Coranto on three sites hosted by 1and1. I have had no problems with Coranto or any other script running there.

On any hosting site you need to be careful that the user you upload the scripts as is the user who is running the script. I upload all of the scripts with the root user and have no problem.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Shafe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:35 pm

Do you use the 2.99 plan? When I looked it up, custom CGIs were disallowed.
Shafe

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:49 pm

Shafe wrote:Do you use the 2.99 plan? When I looked it up, custom CGIs were disallowed.

Nope, I see at their web site to get perl support you have to go to the $4.99 plan. I have an older package that is kind of in between the current business and developer plans at $9.99/month.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Return to Troubleshooting