News Style problem after upgrade to 1.25

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

News Style problem after upgrade to 1.25

Postby Masterplumber » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Just upgraded to v1.25 from v1.24 and everything seemed to be working ok. Only noticed earlier tonight that if I try to change any News Styles I get an error.

One of two things happen:

Scenario 1

If I go into Edit News Style and choose any simple style at all - say something like Archive Link Style - and just click on Save Changes I get

Fatal Error

An error has occurred. The exact description of the error is:
Could not include file crcfg.dat. The file, however, appears to exist. This usually indicates some form of syntax error in the file. Message: Unmatched right curly bracket at crcfg.dat line 450, at end of line (Might be a runaway multi-line ~~ string starting on line 448)syntax error at crcfg.dat line 450, near "}"Compilation failed in require at coranto.cgi line 75.

There's also a whole load of stuff under the heading Useful Information (Environment Vars etc.)

The only way round it is to restore cfcfg.dat

Scenario 2

Similar to above but this time if I try to edit a News Style that is a bit more complex i.e. contains <If> statements I get

Error: That style is invalid and has a syntax error. Check, in particular, that all ifs are properly matched and ended. Perl reported the following error, which may or may not be helpful: Unmatched right curly bracket at (eval 21) line 32, at end of line (Might be a runaway multi-line ~~ string starting on line 30) syntax error at (eval 21) line 32, near "; }"

In this case I can still add news etc. and it seems to work ok but I'm now in the situation where I can't actually change any of the styles.

Everything was working ok under v1.24 and I have not changed any news styles at all under v1.25 - as I say, I only noticed it tonight when I had to go in to make some minor cosmetic change and found the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Masterplumber

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:21 am

Masterplumber wrote:The only way round it is to restore cfcfg.dat

What do you mean? If you restore crcfg.dat Coranto works OK until you try to edit another style?

I just did a local install of 1.25 (not an upgrade) and do not see this problem. Editing styles works fine, with no errors. So I am thinking that maybe you missed a file when you upgraded.

If you backed up your files before the upgrade I would restore them and test to see if you have the same problem. If you do then there is a problem in crcfg.dat, just as Coranto is telling you. If not, then something went wrong with the upgrade.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:34 pm

I am working with an upgrade to 1.25, and just went in to test a style change, and things proceeded with no problems or errors along the way.

Seems there was an error in crcfg.dat before the upgrade...try restoring backup, as Dale suggests, to find it before upgrading...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Mariacallas.org » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:20 pm

I have the same error message but in a different line.
Mariacallas.org

Postby Masterplumber » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:51 pm

What do you mean? If you restore crcfg.dat Coranto works OK until you try to edit another style?

That is exactly what I mean. If I restore my crcfg.dat file I'm back to normal until I try to edit a News Style again.

Something has obviously gone awry somehwere so I'll persevere until i get a solution.
Masterplumber

Same Problem??!?!??!?!??!

Postby Localnews » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:36 pm

:(

I get a similar problem when I try to use IF statements in a style. Using the Coranto documentation example:

<If: Field: User eq "Guido">
I've always loved the name Guido.
<If: Else>
Your name, is, unfortunately, <Field: User>. Try Guido instead.
</If>

Generates the following error:

Error: That style is invalid and has a syntax error. Check, in particular, that all ifs are properly matched and ended. Perl reported the following error, which may or may not be helpful: syntax error at (eval 15) line 6, near "} else" (Might be a runaway multi-line ~~ string starting on line 2)

I DON'T GET AN ERROR WHEN:

1. Uses the numeric comparison ==
2. is a simple if, such as <If: Field: UserField_Email>
Localnews

Postby Masterplumber » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Looks like the same problem.

The <If: Else> statements were working ok in 1,24 but not in 1.25. I've changed nithing - and they were all working before I upgraded - but now I'm stuck in a kind of limbo. I've tried changing things but to no avail.
Masterplumber

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Localnews, which version of Coranto are you running? Your problem doesn't seem to be related to Masterplumber's.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Masterplumber » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:42 am

Problem could be related I suppose but it's more likely to be my stupidity than anything else. Using localnews' example, I have something like this

<If: Field: User eq "Guido">
<If: Field: CustomField_blah eq "abc">
do something
<If: Else: Field: CustomField_blah eq "bcd">
do something else
<If: Else: Field: CustomField_blah eq "cde">
do something else entirely
<If: Else: Field: CustomField_blah eq "def">
do something completely different
</If>
</If>

I could try changing the comparisons to numeric to see if that makes any difference.
Masterplumber

Postby Localnews » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 pm

I am running v 1.25. Just downloaded it. I'll admit that I never bothered with IF's in styles before this, so I don't know if this was a problem before. I am trying to improve my site and make it more "bloggy" and use the styles and profiles more.
Localnews

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 pm

MasterPlumber, did you investigate this part of the error message:

Might be a runaway multi-line ~~ string starting on line 448

I really don't know what to say to this problem, but it's clear that crcfg.dat has gotten corrupted in some way, either before or during the upgrade. If you edit that file manually (please backup everything you've got first!) and try to merge lines 448 and 449 together?

SrNupsen

Postby Masterplumber » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:44 pm

Spent a bit of time on this tonight and it is not looking good.

I stripped everything out of one of the news styles that was causing me a problem. got a message saying "changes have been saved" or whatever

Then when I clicked on Return to Edit News Styles I got the fatal error again with a different line number. So it looks like there's a problem in crcfg.dat somewhere and I don't know how to fix it as the only way I can get a working system again is to restore from the old file (which I think I now know is corrupted). Short of copying every single news style and recreating them from scratch...
Masterplumber

Postby Spunkmeyer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:17 pm

Odd thing is, i'm also getting the error. Hmmm. Thankfully I backed up all the files before upgrading and Im back at 1.24 without problems. Although, you can at least have the spiffy upgraded CSS code in your 1.24 installation :D
"God Bless the Portable Grassy Knoll"
Spunkmeyer

Postby Masterplumber » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

I too have a backup so it looks like a downgrade to1.24 tonight...
Masterplumber

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 am

Would be very interesting to know what's causing this - as we have most users (myself included) upgrading from 1.24 -> 1.25 without problems, it's hardly a general problem.

SrNupsen

Next

Return to Troubleshooting