Coranto/web writer doesn't work with a Mac computer

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto/web writer doesn't work with a Mac computer

Postby Digicamhelp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:02 am

:x

Why not?!

I'm seriously considering switching back to a Mac as I have an opportunity to get an almost new Mac notebook at an incredible price. So then, how am I going to work on my site?

Hopefully there a fix for this serious problem. Is there?

Thank you.

UPDATE: Coranto does not work with Safari either.
Last edited by Digicamhelp on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digicamhelp

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:47 am

Which browser are you using?

WebWriter uses HTML Area as the WYSIWYG component. HTML Area is no longer under development.

The last version of WebWriter that was released did support Firefox. You may want to read this thread about WebWriter.

You might also want to check out the Generic Editor Adaptor (GEA). It allows you to install a variety of WYSIWYG editors with Coranto. Download Link

Coranto should work fine with your Mac, how well WebWriter works will depend on which browser you are using.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Digicamhelp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:06 pm

Dale wrote:Which browser are you using?

Thanks, Dale.

I'm using Firefox. I never tried it with Safari, will that work? I'll give it a try later today when I'm back on a Mac.

I also can't stand the way web writer messed up an entire page if you inadvertently save when in html mode. At least some other web-based editors I'm using open html mode in a new window, virtually eliminating this problem.

I also think it strange that when you want to delete a page, it's not really deleted. You have to ftp to delete it.
Digicamhelp

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Digicamhelp wrote:I'm using Firefox. I never tried it with Safari, will that work? I'll give it a try later today when I'm back on a Mac.

I don't know. I have never used Safari. My Mac experience is limited (mostly OS9).

Digicamhelp wrote:I also can't stand the way web writer messed up an entire page if you inadvertently save when in html mode. At least some other web-based editors I'm using open html mode in a new window, virtually eliminating this problem.

That is an HTML Area issue. I never liked the HTML Area editor and don't use any WYSIWYG editor. I can understand if you have a multi-user install why you would like one.

I use QuickTags which is more like a BB Code extension. If you click on the link I put in the previous sentence you will see the description for QuickTags and a screen shot of how I have added custom buttons to it. It should work with any browser that supports javascript, but I have not tested it on a Mac.

Digicamhelp wrote:I also think it strange that when you want to delete a page, it's not really deleted. You have to ftp to delete it.

This issue has been discussed and most people are leery of automatic deletion. You can use the MultiPart addon to enable deletion of pages through the Coranto interface.

Create a MultiPart profile that points to the directory you want to be able to delete files in.

In the profiles settings enter the directory that you wish to be able to delete files in. Set the file extensions to those you want to be able to delete. Set the delete permissions.

Enable the profile.

When you go to Coranto's main page you will see Upload Manager, click on it and you will be taken to a page where you can upload files to the directory you have chosen. More importantly, for you, you will also see a list of files already in the directory. Each file will have an [x] by it. Click on the [x] to delete the file.

You can have multiple profiles pointing to different directories. You can also work in the directories under the directory you specify in the profile.

This won't replace the features of an FTP program, but it will allow you to delete old content from anywhere you can get to your Coranto install.

Some MultiPart settings are on the main Coranto settings page.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Return to Troubleshooting