Direct link to a post/article?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Direct link to a post/article?

Postby Keen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:00 pm

I've been using coranto ever since it was named news pro and never needed this option, but now I do... All the blog software out there supports that, coranto as well?

A format like that:
http://www.domain.com/2007/02/22/name-of-the-article/

hope you can help me...
Keen

Postby Jackanape » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:30 pm

What you're looking for is the Maginot addon. It can do that, and a lot more...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Keen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:51 pm

question for beginners:

I installed maginot and set a new profile. But how do I get all the old, archived news to be maginot-compatible?

And as some news items have probably the same title, is there a way to name them like <Subject><Date> or anything? To prevent conflicts...
Last edited by Keen on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keen

Postby Firebrand » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm not very sure but, did you tried full rebuilding your news items?
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power...
Firebrand

Postby Keen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:44 pm

ahh got that solved, I mistakenly entered filter by number in the profile :oops:

but still, how can I change the filenames to something more specific, so that items with identical names won't have file conflicts or is that done automatically?
Keen

Postby Firebrand » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:52 pm

Glad to see you got it working ;).

I think that's done internally, by giving something like ID numbers to the news posts, but I'm not completely sure, maybe just wait until someone more experienced with this posts :).
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power...
Firebrand

Postby Keen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 pm

yeah, the problem is, I can select where the filename should origin from... I selected Subject, as the subject should be visible in the URL...

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure that I've given several news items the same name over the years...

I could let them be named after news-id, which is unique, but I'd rather have a combination like <Subject> AND <Date> or so... I hope that's possible somehow...
Keen

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 pm

In the settings for a Maginot Profile, where it asks you for file path, actually you can use <Field: whatever> IN THE PATH. This is quite powerful, for instance you can put:

Code: Select all
http://www.my_domain.com/news/<Field: year>/<Field: TwodigitMonth>/<Field: TwodigitDay>

Maginot will even create the directories for you if they don't exist. For the actual file names, you have the same kind of choice further down on the profile settings page.

As long as your archived news are still in your newsdat.txt database, you should be able to create new Maginot profiles and have them all spread out nicely according to whichever structure you choose.

Be aware, though, that if you choose, say, my example in green over for your path, AND choose to name the file after the value in <Field: Subject>, AND post two items with identical subjects on the same day, you will have a name conflict. To be 101% sure of avoiding this, you'll have to use the newsid field one way or another, as this value is truly unique for every newsitem.

Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Keen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:08 pm

It works, woohoooooo! That's one mighty tool, you're right!

I was confused at the beginning, as it didn't work properly although I entered it exactly as in your example, but then I realized you have to be so careful about capitalization :wink:

Ah, that's awesome, thank you soooo much, you made my day :!: :!: :!:
Keen

Postby SrNupsen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Glad to be of help :) If you need more advanced solutions, you should read the documentation of Maginot sliced profiles, which render Maginot even more powerful.

SrNupsen

Postby Keen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 am

hm, when I hit preview now, I get the following error (stuff being the name of my maginot-profile)

Invalid Maginot Static Profile 'stuff' used in a MaginotURL-tag in style ''. Make sure the profile name is correct and that the profile is enabled
Keen

Postby Jackanape » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Keen wrote:hm, when I hit preview now, I get the following error (stuff being the name of my maginot-profile)

Invalid Maginot Static Profile 'stuff' used in a MaginotURL-tag in style ''. Make sure the profile name is correct and that the profile is enabled

Could the problem be case-sensitive?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:46 pm

What is style '' supposed to mean? Do you have a style without a name?

SrNupsen

Postby Keen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 pm

I replaced the maginot link with a simple <subject> and now it works fine.

But I got another question:

How can I make Maginote use hyphens instead of underscores in the filenames?

Like this-is-a-post.html instead of this_is_a_post.html ?
Keen

Return to Troubleshooting