Coranto Install on a Windows Server

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Coranto Install on a Windows Server

Postby Jackanape » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:45 pm

I've been knuckle-dragging through this install for about 4 hours now, and am ready to surrender the job, but I thought to give it one last shot.

I'm installing on a Windows 2003 Server, IIS6, with perl installed.

I can get my test scripts to run just fine, but when I attempt to launch coranto.cgi, I get this message:
CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

I've done an exhaustive search of not only the Support Archives Here, but Googled the devil out of it, too...

The Path to perl is correct (My other scripts work just fine) and I even tried adding :
Code: Select all
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

Right after my path line, and get no results.

I'm thinking it's a permissions issue, but you'd think I'd set those properly, wouldn't you? Well, I think I did, but again, resources for Windows permissions are sketchy at best online, since I can't seem to find a solid clearly defined set of instructions. All references seem to be in the form of "Don't forget to set your permissions..."
As near as I can tell, I have all permissions set properly, and judging from my lack of results from my Carp line above, I'm not even sure the script is launching...

Anyone have any ideas whatsoever? I hate to hand this job in and give up, but I also can't afford another 4 hours just guessing...

Someone must have installed Coranto onto a windows server before...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Well, after another full day of fiddling, I think I've found the solution...or solutions...

My main problem was that I needed to set up a "virtual directory" that pointed to my Coranto directory--at least I think so, since it seemed to solve the problem--and I was able to continue with my setup.

I ran into another problem with my newsdat.txt file, that I tinkered with a virtual directory for, but solved nothing...I eventually just rightclicked the file to give it the permissions to the right usergroups.

I continue to move forward.

:wink:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Submitting my first news item, and I ran into this problem, which was corrected by giving the USERS group full permissions over the folder...

News item now appears, however, like this:

test me``xPoster_Prime``xtest me harder``xEEZkpZAypZVBFrCmcZ``x1172079607``x(default)

Where "test me" is the subject, "Test me harder" is the content, "Poster Prime" is the poster, and I presume "x(default)" is the style...

I'm presuming this is a paths problem, but I'll need to tackle it before proceeding...
Last edited by Jackanape on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:12 pm

Jack ,Jack, Jack... are you including the news database (newsdat.txt) instead of your news profile's output (news.tst) again? :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Jackanape » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:47 pm

Ummmmm.....

no.

really... :?

See, I was so busy trying to grok this whole Windows thing, I completely ignored the details I WAS USED TO DOING. LOL

Actually, I had to take some time away from this whole thing to play with legos with my son...put things in perspective. Now, I feel it's all ready to go, just need to install my addons, and begin my configuration...

BTW, I added a comprehensive WINDOWS installation guide to the todo list. I know we'll have someone who is a Win IIS guru, who can make sure we all know what we're doing...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Troubleshooting