Recommendation needed for updating table with Coranto

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Recommendation needed for updating table with Coranto

Postby Stoneage » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:44 pm

A need to incorporate a 4-column, 25-row data table into a site, with a field that can be updated in each cell. I can't decide what would be the best way to approach this in my Coranto configuration.

This seems like the perfect use for a database add-on, but from what I've read in the forum, there are no current add-on that works well with 1.24.

Therefore, I am thinking I can either:
1. Create one XMulti-Submit profile containing fields for the entire table.
2. Create a separate profile for each of the 25 rows.

Neither of these methods seem very efficient. Am I overlooking something obvious? Any suggestions that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------
Deborah
Stoneage

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:17 pm

Actually one done your first solution may be the easiest to implement. You would create one news field for each row with names like row1, row2, etc. this would allow meaningful names for the values in each row and you would end up being able to easily change a single value. Your style would contain the html for the table with the field names inserted where needed. The table could then be included into the page(s) where needed.

AS an alternative you can use a variation of the technique discussed here for multiple values on one field. Rather than multiple values on one line you could create a news field with a text box. Use one line for each row of the table and enter your data like this:

row1::Value1
row2::Value2

The separator for the names and values can be anything you want. Your style would simply write the contents of the field to a text file. You would then need perl code to read the file separate the names and values and insert them into the table.

I will be back with some code - gotta go do some testing.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Stoneage » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for directing me to that thread. I see that the person posting had a similar situation and was able to use the perl code supplied to separate multiple items entered into a single field. (Very useful for future needs!)

I am not very familiar with perl, so perhaps the examples in the thread answered more than I could interpret, but I did not see a conclusion on whether that person was able to separate *multiple* input fields from the same text field.

One row of my 25-row table output needs to look like this (commas indicating table cells):

Item 1, Color 1, Features 1, Size 1, Price 1

If you discover a more end-user-friendly way to accomplish this, I'd be very grateful.

-------------------
Deborah
Stoneage

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:08 pm

Stoneage wrote:One row of my 25-row table output needs to look like this (commas indicating table cells):

Item 1, Color 1, Features 1, Size 1, Price 1

Do I understand correctly that you are creating a multi-row table (in your case 25 rows) and that you will have the columns

Item - Color - Features - Size - Price

If that is what you are doing it is can be done by:

Creating the following fields:

Item
Color
Features
Size
Price

Create the following style:
Code: Select all
<tr>
<td><Field: CustomField_Item></td>
<td><Field: CustomField_Color></td>
<td><Field: CustomField_Features></td>
<td><Field: CustomField_Size></td>
<td><Field: CustomField_Price></td>
</tr>

Create a template that uses the <Field: Content> tag to insert the output between the start and end table tags or put your SSI command between the table tags on an existing page.

Create an XMS profile that uses the fields you want to use for the table.

Create a profile that uses the style, template, and XMS profile that you have made. Sort the profile the way you want using the SortOrders addon.

If you want your users to select the color and size from a dropdown box you can use the CustomFields Addon.

The number of rows in the table will be determined by the number of items that you enter.

Can you give a link to a sample of what you want the finished product to look like?

Obviously all of the above stuff has to be adjusted to fit your site (formatting, etc.)
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Stoneage » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm

Thank you, Dale. I'll work through your suggestions and see where I get from here.

-----------------------
Deborah
Stoneage

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:11 am

Stoneage wrote:Thank you, Dale. I'll work through your suggestions and see where I get from here.

-----------------------
Deborah

Have you had any luck with your setup?
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Stoneage » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:44 am

Thanks for checking in, Dale. I've been out of commission for several days, due to a nasty cold bug. I plan to delve back into the project early this week and will definitely post back here to let you know how it went.

Thanks again. I think your posts have given me enough ideas to move forward.

------------
Deborah
Stoneage

Return to Troubleshooting