Backup?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Backup?

Postby Smoniz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:23 am

Is there an add-on where I can set it up to where it creates a back up of my newsdat.txt file like every day or two? Just ran into an issue where i went to post a news item and instead of updating the newsdat file it deleted it so i had to repost all of my posts.
Smoniz

Postby Dale Ray » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:38 pm

There are two addons that create backups:

Backup By E-Mail
MoveIt!

In addition there is a Backup addon included with Coranto. If it is enabled backups will be created automatically. The docs:
Backup

DESCRIPTION & USAGE

The Backup addon maintains two rotating backups of your news database, updated weekly. The backups are kept in your News Files path; newsbak1.txt is a backup of newsdat.txt from 0 to 7 days old, and newsbak2.txt is between 7 and 14 days old. The Backup addon operates transparently. When enabled, it will maintain the backup when necessary as you submit new news items. Though maintaining two extra copies of your news database will increase disk space requirements, the Backup addon should not noticeably slow anything down.

CONFIGURATION

Generally, there is no configuration to be done. There is one optional setting: the time interval after which backups are updated. By default, this is seven days. To change this, edit cra_backup.pl and see the $BackupTime line near the top.

IN CASE OF FIRE

If something happens to your news database (newsdat.txt) and you need to restore from backup, rename newsbak1.txt to newsdat.txt. If necessary, an even older backup should be available in newsbak2.txt.

You may want to read Zero Byte nsettings.cgi bug. If your file was truncated because of a lack of space you may have to move to a different host or if you have a limit on storage you may have to increase that amount. If your hosting company says you have unlimited storage there can still be a problem with the actual hard disk running our of space.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Smoniz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:27 pm

Thank you very much :)
Smoniz

Return to Troubleshooting