Switching from SHTML to PHP (MYSQL) how?

Is Coranto not working properly for you? Here's where to ask for support help; for best results, follow these steps:
  • - Check your core/addon documentation for possible solutions
  • - Search these forums for similar problems that have already been solved
  • - If you're still stumped, check out THIS TOPIC, and post your question in this forum!!

Moderators: Spunkmeyer, Dale Ray, SrNupsen, Bluetooth, Jackanape

Switching from SHTML to PHP (MYSQL) how?

Postby Paulwv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello,

I've been using Coranto for years. For now, I am sticking with version 1.24

I am using SSI tags to call out my news (SHTML). Soon I will be installing the RSS Feed addon. But I need to use MYSQL now.

How is the conversion done from shtml to php? I've been using it for years, so many archives and settings.
Paulwv

Postby Jackanape » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:46 am

Vry simple...all you need to do is change your SSI includes to php includes. If you're coding the site yourself, you'll already be familiar with how php includes work, like this:

Code: Select all
<?php include("../_news/test_news.txt");?>

This code was taken from the Coranto setup tutorial HERE.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Paulwv » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks.

But what about the MYSQL database? Right now everything is in shtml and in my newsdat.txt. Nothing is on the database. I don't transfer anything, move anything..? Everything stays the way it is, just change the way the SSIs are called?
Paulwv

Postby Jackanape » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Coranto is a flat-file db, so you don't NEED to convert it to MSQL. It will continue to run just fine from your cgi-bin, side by side with your php. There is an addon, CorantoSQL, but I've never used it in my php driven sites, just stuck with the flat file.

If you really want to switch it over, do a search of the forums for SQL, and CorantoSQL. But, you don't need to!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Paulwv wrote:Thanks.

But what about the MYSQL database? Right now everything is in shtml and in my newsdat.txt. Nothing is on the database. I don't transfer anything, move anything..? Everything stays the way it is, just change the way the SSIs are called?

If you are using php pages the code sample Jackanape gave will include the output of your profiles into your pages. This is simply using php to include the file output by your profile. This is exactly what you are doing with SSIs now. You can use Coranto styles to format the profile's output as you wish.

If you simply need to include Coranto managed content there is no need for a MySQL database. If you want to be able to manipulate your data in ways that Coranto can't then I recommend Fake SQL. For more info about Fake SQL do a forum search.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Return to Troubleshooting