Opening a New SourceForge Repository

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Opening a New SourceForge Repository

Postby Jackanape » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:25 pm

I just applied for a new SourceForge project today--Coranto Addon Development--to give us a second CVS for future addon development.

The idea is that we can have all open-source addons located on CVS there, where developers can work together keeping them up to date with core development, while keeping them separate from the core project. New Addons can also be developed here, making it a great centralized hub.

We'll be able to track downloads, and it will save Dale much bandwidth along the way...
:lol:

What does everyone think?

I'd like to begin populating it over the summer...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:43 pm

After my brief experience with Sourceforge I wouldn't touch it again. Basically it is a good idea with a crummy backend.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:47 pm

What happened, if you don't mind my asking?

So far, it seems to work OK for me, but I'm new at all this stuff...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:22 am

All of the extra steps you have to do in order to use Sourceforge as a CVS
(see this thread) hardly seem worth it for an addon.

I have no plans to use Sourceforge for any of my addon development.

That is the other problem. With open source code you don't have any way to force users who modify the code to use the same development that you use.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:02 pm

That's true, Dale, it IS difficult at first pass...I remember well.

We don't have to use this new project, I just wanted to open it in case we did. After all, now that things are proceeding open source, it seemed prudent. My thoughts were to use it prinarily as a download repository, with only the main core coders having access to the CVS, in the event any addons need upgrading to work with future versions.

eh, It's a thought, and something we need to discuss at our next meeting...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Addon Development and Requests