Addon Idea: Submit news with posting a e-mail

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:19 pm

Guys, sms are sent TO a mobile phone (I have haeard also of a fixed line sms wirter/checker, but still it connects to your mobile phone operator at high cost).

There are lots of services allowing you to SEND SMS for free (but very limited in number you can send a day) to a mobile phone.
But I cannot see how this SMS could reach your server, or how you could set any routine to check that anyway...

Just as a basic explanation: this addon (which I only started, never really worked a lot on it, not finished) used the NET library to go and have a periodic check for email on a SMTP account, i.e. there is a publicly avaialble (to you) SMTP server waiting for your connections. When you connect to it, you can retrieve your email. the program retrieve the emails, check formatting, password, and then is appropriate posts trought Coranto.

I cannot see at all how a similar mechanism could work with sms. Is there any public standardisaed server keeping sms and accessible (the equivalent of the SMTP server)? I dont' think so.
As far as I know, SMS storage is proprietary of the cellular network you use, and you cannot access those sms directly to it via PC (except for special and very expensive agreements fixed operator-mobile operators, but NOT through TCP/IP protocols, i.e. NOT via simple Internet).

If you know a different story (i might be wrong), please share it here, as would be interesting to know...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

SMS...

Postby Von Snellfharer » Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:21 pm

Youre right about the mail-option with SMS.

But there are programs that can perform this right from the desktop, they have to be in contact with some server or something??

Could Coranto be made to send SMS?
Von Snellfharer

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:41 pm

As per sending sms via Coranto, yes can be done. Of course NOT directly (as you need a real radiotransmitter to send sms...). But you can format the text and connect to one of those free sms-sending web pages.
This is *exactly* what the free programs around for desktop do, i.e. format the text and post a form to a web gateway. Then it is the webgateway that "sends" this sms (they buy bulk number of them and offset the costs with advertising).

But what would you send from Coranto to an sms? News alerts from your site? That it could could be nice.... Find a free reliable working host and I might think to write the coranto interface... (it is really basic program, create a http agent and make it post the text as any normal form in POST).
The problem I had when I thought of doing something similar was to find this reliable free server...
The ones I found were not good at the end, either not sending or not allowing you more than a handful of messages (I remeber the only really good was mtn, the southafrican operator, but then they limited the number of max sms a day to 2 or similar quite low number...).

The real usefulness of sendind alerts would be to send them to your subscriber list (like a sms-version of the Multimail addon), but for sms, unfortunately I only found paid-for services wishing to send hundreds or thousands of sms for you. The other use of such thing would be to alert you (so only one sms) for updates from others to your site... But still would need a good sms-sending reliable free service. If you know one, say so.

As for posting: as said it seems difficult to me to have anything using sms to post.
It is easy instead if your PDA/phone is able to send POP3 mail (most of them are nowadays) with the method I told you about (i.e. periodic check of SMTP mail and automatic posting in Coranto).

WAP is a different matter, as you can then put up a small adapted wap interface with a simple post form (similar to Guestpost). But you really don't need *any* modifications at all.
Just take the straight GuestPosting page coming out of GuestPost, modify it to WML (really should be trivial), and you can post directly from your wap browser (phone, etc)... But some mobile operators asks still a lot for wap...
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby vesa_h » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:55 am

First of all, the length of an SMS-message is only 160 characters, so even without user recognition, It wouldn't be much more than a teaser. If you still want to try, the cheapest way for posting with SMS would probably be connecting a phone to your server and have a custom made program do the work (still not cheap). I would suggest that you stick to email, since there already are phones that can send email.
vesa_h

Postby kriko » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:28 am

Yes, it is very expencive.

Best is to use e-mail. You can send that from some of new mobile phones and palm type computers.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:35 pm

I fully agree with you: posting via sms is NOT something feasible nor easy.

What I was discussing about was to "send SMS news alerts" to users, i.e. use one of the free sms gateway to "send" sms, which is the only potential application I could see for sms.
but as said, I do not find even that practical, as the free sms gateway are not reliable or put strict limits ....
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby l0rdphi1 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:40 pm

Nor do I.

Lets just stick with the email idea and try to totally forget about sms :p
l0rdphi1

Postby kriko » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:06 am

Yes, I agree with you.

So is someone going to do a e-mail addon, so when you send e-mail to "Coranto", then the news will be posted ?
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:02 am

Yes, I plan to do this soon
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby kriko » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:10 am

Great, after MultiMail is finished. When will MultiMail be out ?
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby cerberos76_ » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:20 am

Multimail IS finished (100% functional)....
If I only found a few testers to test it really!

I don't have time to test it, and my 27 testers seems to be sleeping.... (or maybe all bugs have been removed in the development). I don't receive feeback anyway.

Only thing I might do is to optimise the code, dividing in more files... But the functions in Multimail are complete and pretty stable.
I am still waiting for any single bug report to put out the last (and final) version of alpha 3, which closes completly the features addition
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:16 pm

Cerberos: Remind me in a week (I'm about to go off on holiday) and I'll try to test MultiMail for you. The official email addon didn't work well for me; it had bugs with keeping track of the last email sent, so my users were getting duplicate emails. Hence I'd love to try MultiMail.
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby l0rdphi1 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:35 pm

I wouldn't mind testing it either... once I get my new comp up and running of course (tomorrow I hope [stupid ups]).
l0rdphi1

Postby alltheskiesfall » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:48 am

i would love this addon .. it would make my posting news about bands to my site .. so easy from whereever i was when i found out some cool information.
alltheskiesfall

PreviousNext

Return to Addon Development and Requests