Addon Idea: Submit news with posting a e-mail

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Addon Idea: Submit news with posting a e-mail

Postby kriko » Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:59 pm

I have seen some other content management software / news submitting scripts. And with them you can send a e-mail. This will be opened by the script and phrased to a submitted item.
Basically when a person sends a email and this is formatted properly, then the news script will change it and add it to the database as a news/content item.
Could this be done with Coranto and would it be useful?
I think so, it would probably solve some spell check needs. Most of the e-mail services have a spell checker (in your own computer and in some public too - like hotmail I think).
I don't have many ideas how to do it, but I think some of you might know.
Basically it just works as a addon in Coranto what would get the data from email server and then delete it from there. Then phrase it as a news item. Only hard thing is that, how to get the script to run when a email is received. That would mean it would have to run in server all the time and this would be hard. But more simple is that when user has posted it, he logs in to Coranto - loads the addon and builds the news.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Damon » Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:21 pm

I really see no use for such a thing.

If anything you can go to a website. It's only 1 click away.

It's not worth the effort.
Damon

Postby FlamingBargains » Tue Apr 30, 2002 9:10 pm

I think this could have a purpose.

Say I'm traveling and I've got my trusty pocketpc/palm with a modem. It would be extremely akward to surf the net to a website and post to coranto through this (possible with a color pocketpc but still extremely difficult with the small screen). With an email submission you could just pop it on and post from anywhere.

Yes, I know that's a lot of work for probably a very small audience but it would have a purpose. Also there are several devices made JUST for email. This would drastically expand their functionality. You can even send emails by cellphone too so this would have a purpose that I would probably use. (I'm thinking of getting an Ipaq soon).
fuark: Phil, no offence, but I don't think you should be lead.
hkdragon2: Ummmmm
fuark: I think mark should be.
fuark: But he's a loser.
fuark: LOOOOOOOSER
hkdragon2: Well, this discussion has gone downhill
FlamingBargains

Postby LoneOwl » Wed May 01, 2002 1:53 am

I think two main problems would be security and that you'd have to run a daemon.... Many servers don't like people running a daemon.
LoneOwl

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu May 02, 2002 9:57 pm

hi all,
I thought of exactly that feature (emailposting) a few months ago.

Can be done pretty easily (less than an hour of work for me) as an extension/addition/complementary addon to guestpost
I had already planned to do it sometimes in the future (as I get time... always on something else more pressing).

As for security:
yes, this was the perceived risk I saw, and this is why I want it to be only enabled via guestpost to avoid excessive abuses (but even then unless you really monitor/approve it, there is risk...and if you monitor it means you are able to access the net).
One way to alleviate the problem is (optionally) to allow posting only from one particular email address. But it is also easy to fake. So, the way to go would be to use a receiving email address which is not known around (so you/people you trust can know about coranto email posting, but others/hackers not...)

As per technicalities:
the way it will work (when I have time) is: the addon will check periodically an assigned Pop3 email address (so you must have an email to dedicate to this). if it finds the rightly formatted email, it posts the news as a guest would do for you.

The email checking can be activated either periodically trough a (real) cron, or via my fake-cron emulation (simple perl script which activates another one every so often, based on the closest trigger event, with a trigger event being the access to your main page from someone; it works well if you have at least a few accessesevery hour of the day...).
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby ccunet » Thu May 02, 2002 10:19 pm

Sounds like an interesting addon possibility. Especcially if it could be built into guestpost.

BTW Cerberos, Thanks for your help on guestpost. Still trying to rid myself of that internal error message in the text box
ccunet

Postby MrStolpe » Fri May 17, 2002 1:01 am

Use Subject as a password of sorts only post news if e-mail had this subject in it.

Like here would be a E-Mail to be posted (with my layout)

Password would be "corantothegreat"

To : post@coranto.domain.com
Subject : corantothegreat

Post Text-MrStolpe here from sunny CA. I found some news here about the game infantry. Infantry is going pay to play.

A lot of people may not like this i know but its what sony is doing./Text

(this is the news text as you see a bit like html tags opening tag is "Post Text" closein tag is /Text

-Post News- (this is the post COMMAND without this the news will not be posted, sort of like a 2nd PW)
Last edited by MrStolpe on Fri May 17, 2002 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrStolpe

Postby cerberos76_ » Fri May 17, 2002 11:42 am

thanks for the suggestions.
Yes some sort of formatting would allow it very easily.

But it is not the level of security I am looking for. I am thinking to something far better which needs to prevent hackers easy access to posting on your site and give you flexibility...

I have a few ideas, but will start working on them only once Multimail is ironed out (in 1/2 weeks probably).
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby LoneOwl » Fri May 17, 2002 1:22 pm

If you send an email, it's very unsecure. The only possibility would be to either create a password for it, or....go to your website. Also, what if you make a typo and it all is unreadable to the script? Should it account for any possible error you'd type? Would you know soon enough, because for that to work it'd have to email you back. When you look at the potential for human error, emailing to submit news is not best.
LoneOwl

Postby FlamingBargains » Sun May 19, 2002 6:27 am

I think that it could be cool if you're going on vacation for a week or two or something and still want to update.

Here's an idea about security.

Create one-time use passwords or specify a "email password" in coranto before you leave and set how many times that you can post by email.

Coranto could generate a random pass for one time use and you could write them down and take them with to use. The other method where you have one for logging in and one for email posting would be less secure but as I said above, you could limit how many times it could be used.

That way, even if somebody did get ahold of your pass it wouldn't be the end of the world.
fuark: Phil, no offence, but I don't think you should be lead.
hkdragon2: Ummmmm
fuark: I think mark should be.
fuark: But he's a loser.
fuark: LOOOOOOOSER
hkdragon2: Well, this discussion has gone downhill
FlamingBargains

Postby l0rdphi1 » Sun May 19, 2002 1:33 pm

Originally posted by FlamingBargains: [B]I think that it could be cool if you're going on vacation for a week or two or something and still want to update.
Then how hard is it to go to your coranto.cgi and click on Submit News?
l0rdphi1

Postby cerberos76_ » Sun May 19, 2002 5:26 pm

The whole idea is to have an alternative to the web access.

Just in case you cannot connect, or you have with you only your mobile phone, or small PDA and would still like to update your site...

Emailing is really easy even with those small devices (or even free from some airport kioks). Web access might not be as easy, or cheap.
Coranto addons:

cerberos76_

Postby kriko » Mon May 20, 2002 11:27 am

btw: e-mailing is alot of cheaper, takes less time.

Cheaper - why? Takes less time, if you are on a dial-up (like me) then you can compose the letters before and send them after.

It will be better, because you can use PDAs, mobiles (like Nokia 9210) wich have long message sending options.

I am shure this will be really good
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Even better idea, publish by sms!

Postby Von Snellfharer » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:57 am

Even better idea, publish by sms!

Ok. maybe some of you don't see the point in this but SMS is big in Scandinavia (and increasing in the US).
For those that feel a bit outside here, SMS is a system for sending short textmessages over GSM the mobile-phone net
(nah.. you guys aren't outside.).

I know this IS possible but i haven't seen any newsposting-script that does this.

Any ideas?
Von Snellfharer

Postby kriko » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:38 pm

SMS is quite popular thing here too (Estonia), but especially in Finland. But only thing with sms is that it is reduced to 260 characters or less. And to set up a sms server??? how to do that???

But most of the service providers offer the service of sending e-mail trough sms. So it still would be better to to e-mail posting addon. Then you send the e-mail with your mobile phone - as sms.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Next

Return to Addon Development and Requests