addon request

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

addon request

Postby Yoshi » Mon May 12, 2003 10:33 am

would it be possible to write an addon for Coranto similar to that for Grey Matter details at http://emeitner.f2o.org/gm/rgmp/

it allows users to submit news via an email
Yoshi

Postby faithless » Mon May 12, 2003 12:25 pm

why would anyone wanna do that?
if you can send email, it must mean you are connected to the web.

if you're connected to the web, how much effort can it be to open a url and type or cut and paste your news from notepad?
faithless

Postby karmagun » Mon May 12, 2003 4:15 pm

With all the latest palms, cellphones, wap, 3G, what have you it might actually be a good idea to use e-mail instead. Imagine logging on to coranto on a 50 x 20 pixel monochrome screen! :D
karmagun

Postby kriko » Mon May 12, 2003 4:53 pm

wap my dear friend. wap can be used to send e-mail.

but this is quite in the wrong forum

we discussed about it before in a forum I made, nobody did it.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Pirate Elf » Mon May 12, 2003 4:54 pm

I am not sure but I think this has been covered a couple of times, and at least once by me. I think the reasoning no one ever tried/coded this addon is cause of the potential security risk/problem with email and logon to coranto. Not sure so don't quote me, but i beleive that was the reason, and that no one that could code it, could see a possible use for it. Search the forums there are lots of responses to an addon of this nature
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby cerberos76_ » Mon May 12, 2003 10:41 pm

no,
the problem is not security. I can write easily an addon which does not pass any unencrypted password. Just I see no need for it.
Such a 'post-by-email' addon is quite simple, but really not of such general interest. I would only code on custom (paid) request.
But maybe someone-else has more time than me and can do it for free...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue May 13, 2003 12:57 am

I REALLY HATE THE INVALID SESSION STUFF! If I take the time to write up a useful response it freaks out every time. :-(

In a nutshell since I am not writing it all over.

Where I got the notion about security. read about 5 posts down. Someone familiar?

As for the usefulness of the addon, read the other topic and search the forums and you will see a pattern here. The only person that has mentioned it would be possible (or has thought about doing it rather), seems to think it wouldn't be worth the time.

So there is no point I suppose in trying to get it going again. sorry to be so negative but I had a wonderful post and it was trashed by invalid_session and alot has been going on here (my life, not the boards) lately. :-(

Although a bright side to this, is this exact reason is why I started to learn perl ( i can whip out 5 craptastical programs go me!).
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby cerberos76_ » Tue May 13, 2003 1:17 am

hi,
I am happy to see people learning perl. I hope all goes well.

As for security, yes I know months ago while thinking to that I thought it would be a problem, but thinking more seriously (for a different project) I just thought it was not at all necessary to send a clear password via email... As for usefulness, even if I liked the idea some time ago, lately things have changed a lot, and am now much more selective on what I can do on the low spare time. I think most people prefer the web interface for posting and this is not an overwhelmingly necessary addon.
But please be welcome in writing this addon (in your own time), maybe as an exercise during your perl lessons. I might at the end like the addon and start using it regularly...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby faithless » Tue May 13, 2003 1:18 am

invalid session?
no fret.

select all and copy before you click the nice submit button. :D
faithless

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue May 13, 2003 1:31 am

i know faithless.. I just forget. LOL!
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby l0rdphi1 » Tue May 13, 2003 7:11 am

stupid phpbb bugs!
l0rdphi1

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am

cerberos76 wrote:But please be welcome in writing this addon (in your own time), maybe as an exercise during your perl lessons. I might at the end like the addon and start using it regularly...

Ha! I am no where near ready for that. I nderstand how to do basic modification to code, find errors in code (sometimes), and whip out stupid useless code that does nothing except find circumfrence and shit. LOL! I am still very much a beginner. Going through the lama book at the moment, and just using my coranto as a basis to toy around. One day I might be like you grand masters but not any time soon.

Yes phil, phpbb is a naughty board that trully hates me, but only when I post long winded posts that can be summed up in a few short words.

"I forgot to ctrl + c" lol! Things are so much lighter and funnier after a few drinks. :-) :cheers:
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Yoshi » Thu May 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Yoshi

Return to Addon Development and Requests