Suggestions for WebWriter 2.5 go here

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby jrthor2 » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:36 pm

how about the ability to add rows/columns to tables that you have already inserted??
jrthor2

Postby kriko » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:59 pm

jrthor2 wrote:how about the ability to add rows/columns to tables that you have already inserted??

ummmmm, it is not so simple. urgh. would need alot of coding, I know it would be useful. but for rows, can you possibly try using the tab button. goto the last row, column, then push tab, it shoud generate a new row. I don't remember excatly anymore. I haven't used tables for a long time.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby jrthor2 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:50 pm

No, the tab key does not work at all. Hitting tab takes me to the next field under the WebWriter field.

I have a lot of users that put up schedules on pages, and they use tables to seprate the date, time, names, etc.
jrthor2

Postby aknox » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:59 am

I'd like to see Webwriter produce standards-compliant HTML. Some of the code it churns out breaks every rule in the book.

But then again, perhaps it isn't webwriter's fault - one of my users has a habit of posting text he's written in MS Word into Webwriter. The resulting HTML is pretty awful.

e.g.
Code: Select all
<O:P>
I don't even know what that tag is supposed to do! I know it's not a real tag in the HTML spec, and it doesn't do anything in IE.

So anyway - standards compliant HTML. I want to run my pages through a validator, and not have to think "at least my bit's compliant, even if the Webwriter bit isn't".

What do you think?

(But great addon, all the same - some of my users would be lost without it!)
aknox

Postby AeroSoul » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:09 pm

kriko, here's webwriter 2.4 with the added ability to select which field(s) you want webwriter enabled upon. only 4 'subs' are modified, WebWriterToolbarSettings, WebWriterToolbarSettingsSave, $WebWriter_Submit and $WebWriter_Modify. let me know if you have any questions or problems.
Keep the dream alive!
AeroSoul

Postby kriko » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:22 pm

umm, okay. I'll see it. but my thought is that I need to modify javascript code, also the toolbar code and the iframe code just a bit. Because, it will get to a conflict (probably) when there are many things with same names. I'll see it what you did. Also, the field default contents or the modify contents are other than just the field Text contents.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby Ixian » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:29 pm

The big one for me is buttons for custom scripting, like that new page/page title thing I keep bugging you about:)

Other thing I would like to see is the html cleaned up a bit. Right now it doesn't product compliant code, plus you end up with a ton of font tags and such. What would be the best is if instead of using font tags and the like, which are depreciated, you switched to inline CSS style. Or maybe have an option for both - you could set WebWriter to produce "old-school" code, like <font color="red"> or new, standards-compliant like <style="color: red;"> . Know what I mean?

Love this addon! Webwriter, MaginotX, and vbcomments are my Coranto "Holy Trinity" :)
Ixian

Postby kriko » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:28 am

I planned alot of work for this weekend, but it appears so that today is my grandmothers birthday, so I have to leave town, travel 200 km, and see her. I'll be back late sunday, and then I don't have much time :(

Ixian wrote:The big one for me is buttons for custom scripting, like that new page/page title thing I keep bugging you about:)
Planned! :)

Ixian wrote:Other thing I would like to see is the html cleaned up a bit. Right now it doesn't product compliant code, plus you end up with a ton of font tags and such. What would be the best is if instead of using font tags and the like, which are depreciated, you switched to inline CSS style. Or maybe have an option for both - you could set WebWriter to produce "old-school" code, like <font color="red"> or new, standards-compliant like <style="color: red;"> . Know what I mean?
I know, I don't like it either, but the thing is that I can't affect it, cause WebWriter is built so, that it basically uses the Microsoft WYSIWYG engine, what generates the appropriate html code. This wysiwyg engine actully generates the aful Word html code, when you save it to html. So I really can't do much about it. Sorry :(

Ixian wrote:Love this addon! Webwriter, MaginotX, and vbcomments are my Coranto "Holy Trinity" :)
:):)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby msbzdragn » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:53 pm

kriko wrote:I know, I don't like it either, but the thing is that I can't affect it, cause WebWriter is built so, that it basically uses the Microsoft WYSIWYG engine, what generates the appropriate html code. This wysiwyg engine actully generates the aful Word html code, when you save it to html. So I really can't do much about it. Sorry :(

Word really does generate some horrifically bad HTML code. I've seen documents go from being 1/2 a meg when saved in HTML from word, down to a couple of dozen KB when all the unnecessary Word crud was removed and the file cleaned up properly.
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby l0rdphi1 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:27 pm

l0rdphi1 wrote:You need to add a target option to the insert link system :)

Add that or else.
l0rdphi1

Postby FlamingBargains » Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:32 am

l0rdphi1 wrote:

Add that or else.

yes... it is badly needed! Plus, it would be cool if you could define a default target that it automatically comes up with, and then you can change it if you wish. That would probably have to be in the "setup" area of Webwriter (where you set the widths and such). For my site I need it to open every post in a new window for the most part so for me _blank would be the default. Occasionally if I have an "internal" link that links to somewhere else on my site, I could change the _blank to whatever target I need it to be.

Thanks so much kriko!
fuark: Phil, no offence, but I don't think you should be lead.
hkdragon2: Ummmmm
fuark: I think mark should be.
fuark: But he's a loser.
fuark: LOOOOOOOSER
hkdragon2: Well, this discussion has gone downhill
FlamingBargains

Postby kriko » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:28 am

FlamingBargains wrote:
l0rdphi1 wrote:

Add that or else.

yes... it is badly needed! Plus, it would be cool if you could define a default target that it automatically comes up with, and then you can change it if you wish. That would probably have to be in the "setup" area of Webwriter (where you set the widths and such). For my site I need it to open every post in a new window for the most part so for me _blank would be the default. Occasionally if I have an "internal" link that links to somewhere else on my site, I could change the _blank to whatever target I need it to be.

Thanks so much kriko!

Extra link adding button will come, with all your needs. Customized target; maybe even style and class setting options?!; and custom tags to the link tag, basically you can enter text: onclick="do this and that" inside to the <a href tag :)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Some inspiration for your WYSIWYG

Postby ayelee » Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:25 pm

kriko wrote:
MrStolpe wrote:I would like to able to turn it off for some Submit Pages (X multisubmit).
This can easily done right now. Add another field, and put in XMS, just enable it on some pages instead of the Text field :D
------------------------------------------------------

oh, and if you care, please post all bugs which still appear under WebWriter 2.4, I don't have the time to search them all up :? . Ugh, I think so. Then also, please help me out, what do you want to see on the new toolbar? Or should I just leave the layout as it, just make it whole one big image ? If anyone cares to make a toolbar, then please post, or e-mail it :)

Here some upcoming functions go:
  • Better addon intergation. Now addons can easily check if WebWriter is loaded on the page. This also might help WebWriter and MultiPart to communitate, or WebWriter with other addons.
  • Buttons to insert of custom predefined html code
  • As the code god Phil suggested: "You need to add a target option to the insert link system :)" Also, this will be possible to add more than just normal link targets. Please suggest what!
  • Possibility choose which field you want webwriter to work upon
  • New toolbar possibly, read above.
  • Maybe I'll switch the emoticons, or make it possible to have more, and custom emoticons. Or remove the part, and make the emoticons come from a addon. Dunno yet.
  • just don't remember anything more atm, please remind me more !! :D

I am so full of energy atm, so I think I am going to handle it :D

kriko, i think you may find this a bit like a really strong Italian espresso:
if you go to http://www.geocities.com/~lef and click on the link marked "NetHTML" you'd find an HTML editor that works with Javascript and DynamicHTML for both IE and Netscape. It is not a WYSIWYG, mind you, but -- since you work with both -- i think it might give you some more ideas and materials for the work you are doing. The author is Lefteris Haritou and who knows you may learn from him.
In unitate servabimur
ayelee

Postby kriko » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:21 pm

please, do you mind. I ment WYSIWYG editor, for Netscape, this can't be done like it is in IE. WYSIWYG, means What You See Is What You Get, this should descrive the edtior best. The one there is just something like this same phpBB posting area, this is crossbrowser thingy :) I might do something like this for Netscape, but it is pointless, due that there is addon for that called HTML Editor or something like that :)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Previous

Return to Addon Development and Requests