Add-On Request

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Add-On Request

Postby lnk » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:51 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else would like the ability to specify the dates a news item will run. Like have two fields on the submit page, one for the start date and one for the end date. I think this would be a killer add-on because many times I find myself wishing I could run time sensitive material only until a certain date. It would also be nice to be able to post an article but not have it run until a certain date.

I know there's an add-on that auto-builds using a crontab file (I think that's what it's called), and I'm wondering if this could somehow be used along with some custom fields on the submit page to implement this idea.

Any thoughts? Is anyone else interested in something like this?
LNK
lnk

Postby Zexion_ » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:02 am

This is a great idea for stuff like events or concerts or anything that would be pointless to have on the site one its finished...

Profiles can already filter news items by date so it shouldnt be too difficult to filter items by date jsut te same but instead of using the system date, use the date on a new item field...

Great addon Idea!
Zexion_

Postby lnk » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:23 am

I do a lot of work for a few bands and many non-profit organizations, and this is probably the biggest issue for most of them. They want to be able to specify exactly how long articles should run on an individual basis. I just think something like this would be a major benefit, as the people I work with can't be the only ones who request this option on a regular basis. Problem is, I know so little about Perl (programming in general) that I have no idea how difficult this might be.
lnk

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:22 am

Speak to FlamingBargains. I'm pretty sure he set up something to do exactly this for his coupon site...
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby cerberos76_ » Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:30 pm

what would you do with expired news items?
Would you simply delete them?

The addon could be done easily.
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Postby strangebeer » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:56 pm

I'd suggest a setting somewhere to either archive or delete. If you're doing one on shows, it might be handy for someone to be able to look up old events.
strangebeer

Postby msbzdragn » Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:51 pm

I don't know what FlamingBargains set up, but I am pretty sure he set *something* up...
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby l0rdphi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:27 pm

msbzdragn wrote:I don't know what FlamingBargains set up, but I am pretty sure he set *something* up...

Yes, he did set *something* up.

Even I cannot be sure exactly what though.
l0rdphi1

Postby Zexion_ » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:28 pm

Old news Items would be archived of course... THis would be a great Addon. I had not realized this but there are actually lots of things that would require expiration... news like "Dont miss the show tonight" or "Tomorrow is the day we all been waiting for" etc. Lots of data specific events that never got removed when they shoud.

Maybe Flamingbargains will do us the honor of posting his hack :-)
Zexion_

Postby lnk » Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:43 pm

cerberos76 wrote:what would you do with expired news items?
Would you simply delete them?

The addon could be done easily.

It would be great if you could archive the expired news items. :D I think a lot of people could really use this addon. Hmm... I'm wondering if there's a kind hearted hacker somewhere willing to tackle this addon? I'm hinting at you cerberos. I've used several of your addons, and I've never had any trouble with them. They're well documented, which makes using them a breeze! If you don't have the time, maybe FlamingBargains can post his hack.
lnk

Postby Zexion_ » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:56 pm

Cerberos addons rock... related news is one of my favorite addons of all time :)
Zexion_

Postby brightsunshine » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:13 pm

No addon needed, just a sub in cruser.pl, a line in the stile and a field for the date-input:
sub:
Code: Select all
sub expire
{
$myyear = substr ($CustomField_Sort,0,4);
$mymonth1 = substr ($CustomField_Sort,4,2);
$mymonth = ($mymonth1 - 1);
$myday = substr ($CustomField_Sort,6,2);
eval {
$Event_Expire=timelocal(59,59,23,$myday,$mymonth,$myyear);
};
}

Stile:
In the beginning of you stile:
Code: Select all
<PerlCode>
Sub: expire;
next if ($Event_Expire < $CurrentTime);
</PerlCode>

and then you need a field: I named it "CustomField_Sort" and it has the format: "JJJJMMDD"
(because I also do a different sorting based on this field - eventdate today is on top)
Old events I just don't display, but I let them still in the database for internal further use.
hth!
brightsunshine

Postby Zexion_ » Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:25 pm

Nice!

thanks you very much
Zexion_

Postby lnk » Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:17 am

:D Cool. Gotta go play tonight (I'm a drummer), but I'll give this a shot tomarrow. Thanks brightsunshine!
lnk

Postby cerberos76_ » Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:02 pm

Brightshine, nice suggestion.
It is pretty similar to what I had in mind. I would suggest (if you can) to put it in an addon, so it is easy to use for everyone.
the only small change is finding the right hook in the display news routines (plus adding the field via the addon when activated instead of being alway there)...
Coranto addons:
* GuestPost, one click guestposting
* MoveIt!, Advanced Backup and site transfer
* PartialRebuild, CPU-friendly enhancement of FullBuild
* URLColumn, URLs for multiple Categories/Profiles
* Tickit!, Javascript News Tickers/Faders for Coranto!
* AddonEnabler, enables or disables single, multiple or all addons in one go
* SubmitMultiple, post consecutive news in an automatic loop!
* RSSAdvanced, RelatedNews ....

Get them at: http://coranto.gweilo.org/addons/
cerberos76_

Next

Return to Addon Development and Requests