spam control

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

spam control

Postby Beckyg » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:13 am

I'd like to see some sort of random visual letter/number generator thing that a guest would have to type in before they submit an entry.
Beckyg

Postby Jackanape » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:07 pm

This is a good idea. If I knew Perl, I'd whip it up, but I'll recommend something similar to what we do with the registration process here: use an auth code, and post it somewhere on your site. The reason it works so well--better than random number generators which all bots seem able to crack now--is that bots won't understand to go looking for the auth code....they'll just move on.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Beckyg » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 pm

Jackanape wrote:This is a good idea. If I knew Perl, I'd whip it up, but I'll recommend something similar to what we do with the registration process here: use an auth code, and post it somewhere on your site. The reason it works so well--better than random number generators which all bots seem able to crack now--is that bots won't understand to go looking for the auth code....they'll just move on.

Something like that would be good. How did you set up your system, and how could it be integrated into Coranto?

Thanks!
Beckyg

Return to Addon Development and Requests