Email newsletter??!??!?!?

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Email newsletter??!??!?!?

Postby Localnews » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:31 pm

I've used Coranto and its predecessor Newspro since back when America was a democracy. The one critical thing I miss - so much I still use newspro for a couple of sites - is the email list function. There was an "unofficial" email addon for Coranto I don't see anymore (???) that was not quite right.

I use Coranto to manage the content on my news pages. I also send a weekly email newsletter out to email subscribers. The web site handles the email list subscription process (using dada mail).

At the moment I cut / paste from Coranto to Dada Mail to send the email newsletter out. Not the most efficient or error free method.

Would be nice to have this back in Coranto, or as an addon. Or is this so pathetically easy I should be able to do this myself?

The specs I'd like:

1. Maintain the list of subscribers (dada mail does this nicely)
2. Generate the text file for the body of the email
3. Pull up the text file in a text box for editing
4. Send the email to the list

Some settings control (send automatically or manually, styles, etc.) would also be nice. The old newspro addon was perfect for what I need. Is it possible to port it over to the new version of Coranto?

Thanks,

Bob
Localnews

Postby Jackanape » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Interestingly, I just was looking for something similar myself. I usually use another script entirely to handle newsletters, and email management, but I think this should be a powerful addon for Coranto, and it would make another reason to make Coranto the number one choice of all web developers!

Multimail is no longer an option, the unofficial email addon is gone--presumably, Lawrence never felt it was ready for distribution--and Shadowmail doesn't address this specific issue.

I'll put a bounty on this project, if anyone is interested...we need to get it done.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Well, I've been busy, but SrNupsen helped me track down the unofficial email addon this weekend, and it works like a charm! Of course, there's no documentation, so it took a while to figure out, just guessing. I will post up a how to guide here soon, perhaps we can add it to the Wikki...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Addon Development and Requests