Coranto Comments System = $500

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby Sknil » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Nope:(
Sknil

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Alex, can I get a brief rundown on how iSay works? Maybe its possible to build on it to get the required addon. Also, I think from what I got, Sknil is looking for something that doesn't require an external forum, and also he mentioned using php/mysql. In my opinion this would not be a coranto addon per se, as it could not directly interact with the core.. rather the small addon you suggest would be the middle man, and possibly not so efficient. In any case, the idea of coranto is that it can be installed in places where mysql is not available, so any comments addon should work on these lines.
So, yes, how does iSay work?
Lumberjack

Postby Alexv » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 am

Argh. I hate exams. I really want to get this done and I have so many ideas. I already completed several major chunks of this project, but can't seem to find the time to tie it all together and finish it.

There are two paths that lead to the same result. I don't know which path to take. As counter-productive as it sounds, I've been advancing along both.

1. Make iSay less stupid.
I will admit. When I wrote iSay, I made a lot of mistakes. The more I think about it, the more ways I find that it can be substantially optimized. Changes that will make life much easier are just dying to be implemented.
Progress: 50%

2. Forget iSay, start over.
Go all out in PHP and MySQL. Very straight-forward approach, the results will be identical to making iSay less stupid. The problem is that there is so much to re-write. iSay is huge, and while some parts need re-thinking, other parts are just fine the way they are.
Progress: 20%

How does iSay work? Well, there are many many parts to it, but it actually has a lot in common with viewnews. It functions in an almost identical manner. And that's part of the problem.
aka on ctus: alexv, aerosoul, billgates
Alexv

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 am

Ah, right. Yes.. when I consider this problem, I see some more advanced coding.. I see items in the database having an extra field that contains "links" to other items (comments) and that these items are not built along with normal items. In fact, it seems like there could be a use for maginot and xmultisubmit.. well the whole thing is not as easy as it seems, if you want to generate static pages.
Lumberjack

Postby GabeT » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:34 pm

Alex, I thank you taking time to even work on this. I know you are a busy man. Let me know if you need anything tested I'd be willing to do so.
GabeT

Postby Sknil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Hey Alex, I share Gabe's sentiment. Thank you for taking the time out. I know first hand how much exams do suck!

My offer is open-ended, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with:)
Sknil

Postby GabeT » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:08 pm

Sknil, what script are you using now?
GabeT

Include.

Postby Whatrevolution » Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 am

For Sknil, who said earlier that iSay comments don't appear on the news posts themselves; there's this news style:
Code: Select all
<!--#include virtual="/coranto/iSay.cgi?Page=Comments&ID=<Field: newsid>"-->

But note, I also removed <html> and other tags, from iSay.cgi & iSay_Config.dat, even in the error reports.

http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ight=#2108
Whatrevolution

Postby GabeT » Sat May 26, 2007 7:30 pm

The problem i had run into is when a person actually submits a comment. The form sends them back to the isay template page and not back to the news content page.
GabeT

Postby SarahLee » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:31 am

Thank god I found this site. I am in urgent need of a feedback system such as the one here: http://www.coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317

I tried iSay, but I need something much more basic... No user registration, no e-mailing of password, etc... Something that just goes at the bottom of the article. Exactly as you see here: http://www.ezadar.hr/clanak/benja-fest-2007

$100 to the person that comes up with this addon (and I need it ASAP).
SarahLee

Postby Jackanape » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:18 pm

SarahLee wrote:I tried iSay, but I need something much more basic... No user registration, no e-mailing of password, etc... Something that just goes at the bottom of the article.

The inherent danger of something like that, just with the spam problem alone, is the reason there is a security check in place, right?

I see no reason you couldn't edit iSay to work in the manner you suggest.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Alexv » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 pm

For those that like to tinker: http://www.85m.com/junk/iSayLite.rar

I wrote that this morning due to the non-stop nagging (:p) from a fellow forum member. The end result can be seen here: http://www.85m.com/coranto/news.html

It's just two files. Make sure the path to perl is correct at the top of iSayLite.pl. Upload them to the same directory as coranto.cgi. CHMOD iSayLite.pl to 0755 and iSayLite_data.dat to 666.

There is no administration panel, and very little configuration options (and they can be found at the top of iSayLite.pl).

My news-style is as follows:
<h1><Field: Subject></h1><br />
Posted by <Field: User> on <Field: Date><br /><br />
<Field: Text>
<br /><br /><h1>Comments</h1><br />
<script language="javascript" src="iSayLite.pl?id=<Field: newsid>&js=1"></script>

The important bit there is the javascript call... make sure you place the correct URL to iSayLite.pl there.

The script is actually completely independent of Coranto, so feel free to use it with whatever id's you like (if you don't know what I mean, don't worry about it).

You will probably want to extract the CSS from the source code of the generated pages (look for anything that starts with "comment").
Alexv

Postby GabeT » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Alexv, thanks for this addon. Will it work with corantoSQL?
GabeT

Postby Alexv » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Yes, but I highly suggest trying it first on a non-live site.
Alexv

Postby GabeT » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:30 pm

I have it setup on a non live site. What do i need to change to have it connect to the mySQL db? here is a sample page. http://siccness.net/default/EEZZuyFVFFaskonQXC.shtml
GabeT

PreviousNext

Return to Addon Development and Requests