Suggestions? : New release of SearchNews

Post your requests for addons here, and discuss any addons in development here, as well.
Once an addon has completed development, it will be released in the "Addon Release" forum.

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby cutter » Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:46 pm

Just to clear up the confusion, then.

I know this is offtopic now, but it has to do with this thread, anyway the last portion of it.

my first post to this thread, dated 07-23-2002 09:23 PM , I said

"I'd like to make a request for searchnews.

the ability to use SSI in the results. I know that at least one other person has requested this, as well."

Now, below me, DeLeTeBR quoted me, and replied on 07-25-2002 06:45 AM. I understand that completely.

Now, Sumaleth, on 07-25-2002 07:40 AM, quoted DeLeTeBR, but the code says that <b>cutter wrote</b>: where it should have said <b>DeLeTeBR wrote:</b>. that's all I was saying. Sorry for the confusion everyone. I am sure it's because Sumaleth was quoting DeLeTeBR, who in turn was quoting me. Sumaleth edited the code, and cut the wrong pieces out.
cutter

Postby DeLeTeBR » Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:26 pm

Sumaleth wrote:How will looking at that page prove you're using SSI? If SSI is working then you can't tell it was used.

Use the force young Padwan :D

Try to search for something in that page, then in the result page you will see the same left bar that I have in the other site pages, this is done using SSI.

Sumaleth wrote:So you're saying that you have an SSI <!--#include> tag in your SearchNews template?

YES

Remember to use include path="full/path/to/your/stuff"
http://www.mgbr.net - Mugen portal
DeLeTeBR

Postby AeroSoul » Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:46 pm

the ssi include file tag works in searchnews because it uses the same sub that viewnews uses to parse it's templates (btw: include file works in viewnews aswell). no more arguments. it works, and it's final. if it doesn't work for you then the include path you set is wrong. remember, coranto uses fake ssi, not real ssi, you you have to enter you absolute path instead of the relative path.

say you want to include the file "http://www.somesite.com/dir/file.txt", then the path with normal ssi would be "/dir/file.txt", but with fake ssi it could be something like "/virtual/users/somesite/web/dir/file.txt".

here's a quick example, place the same file you want to include in the same directory as searchnews.cgi, and i'm gonna assume that file name is "file.txt", what you would insert in your template is <!--#include file="file.txt" -->, and you can change file.txt to whatever you want.
Keep the dream alive!
AeroSoul

Postby AeroSoul » Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:52 pm

here's a snip from the "ProcessTMPL" sub that searchnews uses:
Code: Select all
   $theresult =~ s/<\!--#include file\s*=\s*"(\S+?)"\s*-->/FakeSSI($1)/gie if $fakessi;
and that checks if the template code contains the include file tag, and if it does it sends the path to the "FakeSSI" sub, and that sub looks like:
sub FakeSSI {
   my $fpath = shift;
   $fpath = SecurePath($fpath);
   my $fh = CRopen($fpath);
   my $file;
   {
      local $/;
      $file = <$fh>;
   }
   close($fh);
   return $file;
}
both of these subs are in crlib.pl, and it's include file and not include path.
Keep the dream alive!
AeroSoul

Postby cutter » Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:56 am

SSI DOES WORK in the searchnew.tmpl

Thank you for your time. The "include file=" was the key, i guess. It's working great for me now! Woohoo, one less file to update when I want to change my navigation!
cutter

Postby Sumaleth » Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:55 am

UH HA! It works.

Yes, thanks for taking the time to explain it.
Sumaleth

Postby Mav2287 » Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:09 pm

Just curious but is there a update on the status of the new search news? and if you need a beta test just let me know and I'll test it for ya.
James webmaster CarSpecs
Mav2287

Postby TheSpoon » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:59 am

Wow, I was gone a few months and still no word on a new version of Search News! Can someone please update us on the status of this addon. Just like the next guy I wanna see support for Maginot and have split page search results and the ablility to pick how many results show up on each page. Hopefully someone can update us on whats going on with SearchNews, because it seems like a lot of people are waiting for it.
TheSpoon

Postby Sumaleth » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:26 am

The status of SearchNews is that I don't think there's anyone working on it. :)

I guess the thing is that it's 'good enough' as it is for 99% of usage needs, and adding features for that last 1% would be no small task.

Just out of curiosity, how would you use SearchNews in conjunction with Maginot? Do you mean that it should search for headline links than then direct to Maginot files?

There's no reason you couldn't do that with SearchNews already, just by replacing the <Maginot:> tags in your headlines Style with something that gives the same results.

eg. Instead of:

<a href="<MaginotURL: whateverprofile>">

The equivalent might be something like:

<a href="/news/<Field: newsid>.html">
Sumaleth

Postby Sumaleth » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:08 pm

I've been having a look at SearchNews.cgi and it's not too bad. I've been able to add page-splitting (eg. display 'xx' hits, and then click 'NEXT' to see the next 'xx') pretty easily so I might keep playing with it. I dont know if global addon support is within my range though.

kriko, you said way at the start of this thread that you were working on SearchNews - did you get anywhere with it?
Sumaleth

Postby kriko » Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:50 pm

I did some tweaking with it, basically for my own needs. With no extended stuff.

Also, I did all my stuff on a earlyer version. I guess I need to update it.

I only wish I had more time. Now I am taking a JAVA programming course on my informatics.

If anyone wants do with it whatever you need. f*ck I even don't have time for my websites.

If I get some serious need to update SearchNews, then I'll do it. Eventually, it might come pretty soon, cause I have a website on the way, and could use some addons on SearchNews. As Maudlin and some my secret personal addons :twisted: ;) . Nothing special.
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby tarr » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:09 am

I found a bug in old searchnews that I 've described here:
http://coranto.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
It is pretty annoying :roll:
tarr

Previous

Return to Addon Development and Requests