Coranto News Lost?

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Coranto News Lost?

Postby Buck Satan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 pm

For whatever reason, I just noticed that I no longer have any news in my newsdat.txt file prior to sometime in 2003. I started posting news with NewsPro/Coranto in mid-2000, but something must have happened that cut off three years of news items.

Normally, I would realize that this content is gone for good, but it just so happens that I had someone use the vBComments addon to retroactively insert all of my news into our vBulletin forum. Therefore, all of the news I've ever posted is in the forums, but it's missing from the newsdat.txt file.

I'm wondering if there would be any way to recreate the newsdat.txt file by migrating all of MySQL data from vBulletin. I would imagine you could just put my login account and a default category on each news item, but I'm not sure how the unique identifier could be recreated.

If anyone thinks they could manage this, it would be something I'd be willing to pay for. I'd like to recreate all of my static maginot pages for old news, but I can't do that without the news being in the newsdat.txt file.
Buck Satan

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:54 pm

If you have the backup addon enabled you may want to see if newsbak1.txt and newsbak2.txt exist. If the problem happened recently they may have your news.

A quick look at the file size in comparison with the newsdat.txt file should give a clue if they contain more than than newsdat.txt.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Buck Satan » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Nope, they're missing the news as well. This must have happened months ago and I just never noticed until now. I have no idea how it even happened.
Buck Satan

Postby Buck Satan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Anybody interested in tackling this? Or is there anywhere else I could possibly find someone that might know how to convert the MySQL entries into the text format Coranto needs?
Buck Satan

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:31 pm

You might look at the FakeSQL addon. It does have a feature to create a newsdat.txt from a database, but I don't think it was intended to be used as you desire.

Download it and read the docs. You might try using sql to backup your sql database and restore it (copy it?) with another name and try to use FakeSQL to restore it to a different install of Coranto (perhaps using MoveIt you can do all of this on a local install.

This comes under the heading of 'thinking out loud' and is in no way tested.

I do not use any of the sql addons for Coranto.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Re: Coranto News Lost?

Postby Parahead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Buck Satan wrote:I'm wondering if there would be any way to recreate the newsdat.txt file by migrating all of MySQL data from vBulletin. I would imagine you could just put my login account and a default category on each news item, but I'm not sure how the unique identifier could be recreated.
Actually the unique identifier is just that, a unique identifier. There is no need to get it exactly as it was in the orignal newsdat.txt (unless you use it as a static field in a Maginot Profile of course). Bsically you can use a simple counter, a timestamp or whatever, as long as it is a unique id.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization