Newsitem counting as two or three during page-split?

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Newsitem counting as two or three during page-split?

Postby Zed » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:55 am

I am setting up a site that demands three small news slots on the front page. At three news items the page should split onto Page Two, at six news items onto Page Three, and so on, until there are five pages.

However, for extra room, newsitems need to optionally count as two or three in order to occupy one, two or all three slots. When submitting, the poster could just specify if the item needs one, two, or three slots in ex. CustomField_Slots and Coranto would handle fitting it into this pagination scheme.

Is this possible?

I've looked into doing this with javascript, php, flash actionscript, etc. but as a mere designer this is beyond me.

Can Coranto do this using an If statement? Perhaps adding up a CustomField_Slots number as it goes, splitting the pages when that number reaches 3?
Zed

Postby Pirate Elf » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:24 am

It's been a long day so I am sorry for the brief idea but I think you should search/look into maginot. This seems like the best bet for you. Perhaps someone else can steer you in a better direction or I can help further once I acquire some much needed sleep. :cheers:
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Re: Newsitem counting as two or three during page-split?

Postby Parahead » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 am

Zed wrote:I am setting up a site that demands three small news slots on the front page. At three news items the page should split onto Page Two, at six news items onto Page Three, and so on, until there are five pages.

However, for extra room, newsitems need to optionally count as two or three in order to occupy one, two or all three slots. When submitting, the poster could just specify if the item needs one, two, or three slots in ex. CustomField_Slots and Coranto would handle fitting it into this pagination scheme.

Is this possible?
I agree with Pirate Elf that it might be possible to do this with Maginot (using a Sliced Profile), since it has the ability to set a max amount of newsitems per page and do what you want *without* the feature of setting the newsitem to occupy more than one slot.

This is is not that easy to accomplish though, since Maginot internally keep track of the splitting which might be possible to override but you would also need to handle the scenario when there is two newsitem on the same page that both take up 2 slots, since as I understand it one page would consist of 3 slots. What should happen at that point?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Re: Newsitem counting as two or three during page-split?

Postby Zed » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Parahead wrote:What should happen at that point?

Arg. That possibility did not occur to me. :oops:

Thanks for the advice. I now see that doomed this idea is. I am defaulting to the "Read more..." plan.
Zed

Return to Customization