DHTML Menu Implementation (subject edited)

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

DHTML Menu Implementation (subject edited)

Postby mrjack1970 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:37 am

I know that I have looked at the code so long that I have turned myself around, but I seem to be lost....

I think the easiest way to show what I hope to end up with would be to look at the DHTML menu that I have already created: http://www.omhof.com

I would ultimately like to have an Inductees page that lists all the years (1997 thru 2005) and then on each year page, a list of that years inductees.

I will also be using the script to run a News page as well as an Events page, but I don't think they will be that hard to implement.

I have version 1.24 installed with the addon: Maginot (there are other add-ons, but I think this is the one I need for what I want to do)

I would love to find examples of how to do all this if they are out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated...thank you in advance...

Jack
mrjack1970

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:17 pm

It's hard to tell from your source code what kind of format your Javascript is expecting for the menus to get built, but no matter what you will be able to achieve this by crafting your style correctly and / or by the use of templates.

If you can provide us with a small example of how a working menu item would look in your menu, then it would be easier to help you out.

I have a similar arrangement at one of my sites (http://www.dusj.no), where the menu "Vagbladet (10 siste saker)" is dynamically built each time a new item is submitted. This was done by using a style that processes each item like this (pseudo-code):

Code: Select all
<menuitem>
<title><Field: Subject></title>
<link>http://www.vagbladet.no/<Field: Category>/<Field: newstime>.php</link>
</menuitem>

and then wrapping all that inside a template like this:

<menu>
<title>Tjenester</title>
<link>URLblahblah</link>
</menu>

<menu>
<title>Vagbladet (10 siste saker)</title>
<Field: Content>
</menu>

<menu>
<title>Hvem er vi?</title>
<menuitem>
<title>HÃ¥kon</title>

and so on. Notice the placement of <Field: Content>.

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:18 pm

Jack,

I edited the topic title. "I'm turned around" doesn't mean much to someone else and a year from now when someone else is having the same problem won't make this topic easy to find. If the revised title doesn't reflect your question feel free to revise the title again.

If I understand your question you want to manage your DHTML menu contents with Coranto. You have to look at the structure of the menu file and create a style that will build the file.

Looking at the source code of the page you gave the link for I see:
<!-- DHTML Menu Builder Loader Code START --><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
var navVer = navigator.appVersion;
if(navVer.substr(0,3) >= 4)
if((navigator.appName=="Netscape") && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion)==4))
document.write('<' + 'script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/menus/nsmenu.js"><\/script\>');
else
document.write('<' + 'script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="/menus/iemenu.js"><\/script\>');
</script>
<!-- DHTML Menu Builder Loader Codee END -->

It looks like nsmenu.js and iemenu.js are the files that actually contain the menu content. You have to have to create fields, a style, and a profile to that Coranto can create this file.

Look at the source code of the file you want Coranto to create. Figure out which part of the file will be changing. Create fields that can be used to enter the information that changes. Create a Coranto style that inserts the fields where they are needed into the code when a profile is built.

You are taking the existing static code and putting it into a Coranto style that uses Coranto fields to put the menu items into the code when your profile is built.

If the javascriot files I mention above don't actually contain the menu code then you need to build the files that actually contain the code.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby mrjack1970 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi Dale & SrNupsen,

Looks like I didn't do a very good job of conveying my problem in my post, but thank you both for responding so quickly.

Where I actually need help is figuring out how to build the Maginot profiles so that I will in essence, have the same type of layout as is in the DHTML menu. I plan to add to the menu each year manually so I don't really need Coranto to do that part for me. I just can't seem to get the Maginot/Coranto part figured out?

I think I want a "multi sliced index page" that shows each possible year. Currently, this would include from 1997 thru 2005.

On each "year" page, I want a "sliced index page" that will show all of the inductees for that year.

I hope this helps...I just thought that seeing what I did on the DHTML menu would be a good visual of what I was trying to acheive.

Thank you again and sorry that I didn't explain myself very well :-)
mrjack1970

Postby Parahead » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:07 am

mrjack1970 wrote:Where I actually need help is figuring out how to build the Maginot profiles so that I will in essence, have the same type of layout as is in the DHTML menu. I plan to add to the menu each year manually so I don't really need Coranto to do that part for me. I just can't seem to get the Maginot/Coranto part figured out?

I think I want a "multi sliced index page" that shows each possible year. Currently, this would include from 1997 thru 2005.

On each "year" page, I want a "sliced index page" that will show all of the inductees for that year.
I am not exactly sure I understand what part you are having problems with... I would suggest creating a Maginot Sliced Profile that first slices on year and then on newsitem, now you have "double sliced" that you can use to set up the Multi Sliced Index Profile with. You will end up with one page that lists the year, then clicking on a year will take you to a page with all newsitems listed for that year. If you want you could instead make a Slice Profile and slice on year, then month and have the first page link to each year => months and have a page with all news on a per month basis...

You seem to know your way a little arround Maginot so hopefully the above will get you started, I highly reccomend experimenting with the Sliced and Sliced Index profiles, but please come back with additional questions otherwise and I will try and help.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization