Different Kinds of Input Fields

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Different Kinds of Input Fields

Postby Hidoshi » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 pm

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there's a way to make it so you can have two fields to do one thing. I know that sounds vague, so here's what I'm trying to do:

I need one field to set the URL of a site I'm linking to in the newspost, the other to set the text, so the output would be linked text. In other words, it pulls the url from one box and puts it in the ?<a href="">, and the text between the <a href=""> and the </a>.

Is there a way to to this? I've searched the forum as well as I coudl think to, but came up blank. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hidoshi

Postby Pirate Elf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:22 am

If I am reading this right it wouldn't be a problem of the fields so much as the style you use.

something like:
Code: Select all
<a href="<Field: CustomField_UrlHttpLink>"><Field: CustomField_UrlText></a>

You can make it more elaborate than that but that would do what you want if I understand correctly
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Hidoshi » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:27 am

Mm, no no, that part I understand. The thing is, is there any way to group two input fields together?
Hidoshi

Postby Pirate Elf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 am

can you give me a better example of what you are wanting? Because I am not reading it correctly.
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Hidoshi » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 am

Haha, yeah, this is basically what I mean:

Crappy image, but I think it puts across what I mean.
Hidoshi

Postby muttly » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:34 pm

So what I hear you asking is, "Is there a way to create new input fields?" The answer is yes. Check out the Xmultisubmit addon. You can use it to create custom submission pages with whatever field names you would like. Then you code your output style to match Pirate Elf's suggestion
muttly

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Hidoshi,

If your question is asking if you can format the page where the user enters the input so that the two fields you want to be associated with each other appear side-by-side then the answer is no.

You can create the two fields and use them as Pirate Elf shows you in your style.

You can use the FieldHelper addon if you want to provide more info about the fields to the user and you can use the CustomFields addon so that you can validate the input from the user at the time it is submitted. The validation will make sure, for example, that a proper URL is entered in the URL field.

The Xmultisubmit addon allows you to customize the fields presented to the user so unnecessary fields are not shown and allows you to group them in the order you want.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Dale Ray wrote:You can use the FieldHelper addon if you want to provide more info about the fields to the user and you can use the CustomFields addon so that you can validate the input from the user at the time it is submitted. The validation will make sure, for example, that a proper URL is entered in the URL field.
The CustomFields addon can also "group" these fields together by creating a headline above them (eg. the "Description field").
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Hidoshi » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Mm. I've chosen to use Parahead's grouper idea. Thanks for that dude. This'll work fine for now. The only reason concern for this was actual customisation. It can be a little visually overwhelming to have 7 address fields and 7 link name fields alternating. ^^; Thanks for everyone's help.
"Faith is much better than belief. Belief is when someone else does the thinking." - R. Buckminster Fuller
Hidoshi

Return to Customization