Mass Generating News ID

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Mass Generating News ID

Postby indews » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi,

Is there a way possible to mass generate say a 1000 News IDs? I am going to add some content to my site and there are more than 1000 entries. I do not think I can sit there and submit each one manually, so is it possible for me to mass generate news ids?

I am also using CSQL, so, can I do anything in the mysql?

Thanks
indews

Re: Mass Generating News ID

Postby Parahead » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:22 pm

indews wrote:Is there a way possible to mass generate say a 1000 News IDs? I am going to add some content to my site and there are more than 1000 entries. I do not think I can sit there and submit each one manually, so is it possible for me to mass generate news ids?
Check out this thread...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Not helpful

Postby indews » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:05 am

Hi,

I have tried that but its not exactly helpful. Here is what happened when i executed the list:

[quote]Fake News Item #1``xFakePoster``xvrzvk kmnw jfha dvgku mllwq ``xa``x1138499272``x(default)``x[/quote]

I can't figure out which one is the news id. If [b]Fake News Item #1[/b] is the news id, I can't see how helpful it will be.

Can I manually create [b]newsid's[/b] Say, if I start creating newsids numbering 1-XXXX, will coranto break or not recognize them?

Thanks
indews

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Two questions:

1) Are you using the Numeric newsid addon?
2) Would you prefer to generate the newsid's in php or perl?
bozoka45

Re: Not helpful

Postby Parahead » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:06 pm

indews wrote:Hi,

I have tried that but its not exactly helpful. Here is what happened when i executed the list:

Fake News Item #1``xFakePoster``xvrzvk kmnw jfha dvgku mllwq ``xa``x1138499272``x(default)``x

I can't figure out which one is the news id. If Fake News Item #1 is the news id, I can't see how helpful it will be.
Sorry, my bad. I thought the script generated "Coranto like id's" but obviously not. The id in the long string above is actually the "a", which is OK since the only thing with the id is that it has to be unique. Inside Coranto this is achived by the following code:
Code: Select all
$newsid = time;
$newsid =~ tr/0123456789/pEkFuVyZlA/;
$newsid .= RandomWord(8);
(The time in seconds padded with 8 random letters.) So basically you could either modify the script linked to above, or simply create a new small script with a for-loop including the small snippet above (and print it to file of course).
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 am

I have updated my revision of the dummy news database generating script to generate newsids in the same form as Coranto.

Download Link
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Return to Customization