PLaceing a snippet on the Home Page with link to story

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

PLaceing a snippet on the Home Page with link to story

Postby pPittman_CF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:10 am

Maybe I missed something, (and probably did), but I want to be able to place a snippet (teaser) on the home page with a link to the entire story. I tried the cra_snippet addon and while it DID create the desired snippet, there was no link to the actual story (or anything.)

I tried placing a "more" link after the using the code
<a href="<Field: NewsItem>">More</a>
but all that did was create a link to the same page. Not sure if syntax is correct.

Also, I could live with this if the links to the stories would work, but for some reason, I cannot get them to link up in this installation. You can view it and see what I am talking about at www.arppix.net

The thing that screws me up is that the headlines work at www.arppix.com (different website and domain). yet all the setups are identical with the exception of catagories being added on the .net website.

So, what am I missing here?

Paul
pPittman_CF

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:36 am

Check this out.
bozoka45

Postby pPittman_CF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:02 pm

The first two items I have been through and have been able to create the categories with success. Coranto even reads the news.txt files for each category cocrrectly and posts it on teh various pages within the site. So far, so good.

The first problem though is that when I set up headlines, while Coranto reads and displays the headlines,, but when I click on teh link created for them, I get an error message indicateing that the category or newsitem number cannot be found. When checking the directory, the *.txt files are there and examining the .txt files, the newsitem numbers do reflect the item numbers being searched for. It just doesn't make any sense particulary when it works on another site. The styles are set up exactly the same. (still sratching my head on this one.)

As far as snipping the actual news item, teh 3rd reference was one I had not seen yet so I will chew on it for a while and see if I can make something work. I'm not asking for much. Just one or the other to link back to teh story. I have tried maginot before with limited success but never really had a need to dive in head first before either. Looks like the option you are suggesting.

Thanks

Will let you know.

Paul
pPittman_CF

Postby Parahead » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:34 pm

pPittman_CF wrote:Also, I could live with this if the links to the stories would work, but for some reason, I cannot get them to link up in this installation. You can view it and see what I am talking about at www.arppix.net
If you are talking about the "Latest Headlines" section way down at the bottom of this page, just take a look at the URL, you are using arppix.com instead of arppix.net.

The links at the upper right do also look strange, using $in{event_id} in the URL...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby pPittman_CF » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:09 pm

OK. Now I can see the forrest! The trees were in the way (duhhh). Sometimes the simplest answers stare you right in the face. Thanks to both so much for your help!

The events are summoned from calendarscript, which is where that code comes from.

Now on to even more challenging things....

Some relaxation!

Paul
pPittman_CF

Return to Customization