Including (x) amount of items in a Profile

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Including (x) amount of items in a Profile

Postby btown » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:14 am

I have a tricky question that I can not figure out.

I have created a Profile that includes only 3 news items at a time. I am running the Sort Orders addon. I am sorting the 3 items at a time "numerically by two specific fields".

I have come to find that it only includes the last 3 items that were most recently submitted.
Ex. I submit 6 items to this profile. In this order: item1, item2, item3. item4, item5, item6.

When I build the data and look at the Profile I created it only shows item4, item5, item6. Indeed it only shows 3 items, which is exactly what I want it to do.

How do I make this Profile show item1, item2, item3 instead of showing item4, item5, item6.
This has nothing to do with the Sort Orders b/c it will sort the 3 last items just fine.

I hope this is not confusing. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks! :D
btown

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 am

From the profiles settings page:

Filter By Number:

The maximum number of news items that will be included in this profile. For instance, if you set this to 10, then the 11th-newest item will not be included (though it will be archived, if that is enabled). Leave blank if you do not want to filter by number.

Try setting it to 3.
bozoka45

ok

Postby btown » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:54 pm

It is set to 3 right now. Thats why it only shows 3 items at a time.
I want it to show not the last 3 items uploaded, but 3 items that I choose for it to show. Item1, item2, item3. Do get what I'm saying?
Thanks! :D
btown

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Try sorting reverse numerically by your two fields. This will probably get the three items you want to show up, but they may not be in the order you want.

Note: you can't sort one field ascending and the other descending.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby btown » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:18 pm

I did try that. Sorting the fields is working fine. When I sort the fields reverse numerically, it works fine. But it is still only sorting the item4, item5, item6 data that was last uploaded. I just want the Profile to show item1 item2 and item3. Do I have to enter them backwards like in this order Item6, item5 item4 item3 item2 item1?

I guess I'm asking if it is possible to specify the 3 items for a Profile to show when you tell the profile to only include 3 items?
Thanks! :D
btown

Postby Parahead » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:50 pm

I would say that this is a classic case of filtering before sort problem, which is addressed by the Profile Numeric Filter addon.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Thanks!

Postby btown » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:02 pm

YES!!!!! thats exactly what I wanted!!!! thank you so much. I have been trying to figure out this problem for a long time. Thanks to everyone that helped me out in this post! :D :
btown

Return to Customization