Read from file and update news

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Read from file and update news

Postby fridolf78 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:11 am

Hello!

Would it be possible to read data from a file and update an existing newsitem with new info?

newsid|field(value)

Example:
84758437598457439587943|Text(Trying to update some text here...)

I know it would require some additional scripts scanning the file and inserting the data, but would it be possible? And you might also wonder why I would need this lot? Well, my webhosting company support SMS-services (both incoming/outgoing) and I had this idea about remotely updating my site with a cell phone, by sending a simple SMS with the required parameters.

If anyone else has a better idea to get me going in another solution/direction - please let me know! Perhaps updating the site with a simple e-mail?
fridolf78

Postby bozoka45 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:18 pm

It would require an addon that would edit the newdat.txt directly. If you know any Perl, than you might want to look at using the two subs listed below.

EditNewsdatStart();

and

EditNewsdatFinish();

They make it easier to edit the newsdat and change the fields that you want.
bozoka45

Postby Dale Ray » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 am

Some perl code in your style could open a file and add the text to the the page shown. If you named the file the same each time I think this would work.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Re: Read from file and update news

Postby Parahead » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 pm

fridolf78 wrote:Well, my webhosting company support SMS-services (both incoming/outgoing) and I had this idea about remotely updating my site with a cell phone, by sending a simple SMS with the required parameters.
Personally I have had some ideas about creating an addon that allows you to create a WAP page with a form and submit entries from there which could be used to keep a travel blog for example. That would eliminate the need of having a hard time entering Coranto news ID's and using some sort of "news|field(value)" approach in an SMS which isn't very userfriendly... Just my opinion though.

It is however quite possible to do what you want, reading a file with that look, but there is not out-of-the-box solution available. You would need to trigger the reading of that file somehow as well, don't know what features your host provide to trigger some event when a SMS is arrived...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization