Multiple numbers of headlines for the same profile

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Multiple numbers of headlines for the same profile

Postby stanman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:21 am

I've been pouring over the documentation and I don't see how to do this however I must admit, I'm still trying to grasp some of the concepts offered on Coranto. If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
On the index page, the client wants 5 headlines which take you to the main articles page. I've managed to do this with "news.txt" and "headlines.txt". I'm familiar with SSI so I'm trying to use that method instead of using the templates. They want 5 articles to show at once with "news.txt". They are short "announcements" so this is no problem either. My problem begins when trying to figure out the best way to archive. I see how to archive all articles. In an attempt to keep the archives file manageable, I'm trying to figure out a way to create a link to a "master" archive headings page so that a person would see ALL headlines (not just 5 of them). When they click on any headline, it would take them to the full article, not just the monster list of archives.

I've installed Maginot because from everything I've read about that addon, it's probably what I need but I can't wrap my head around how exactly to make this happen.

I always thought I was relatively smart but after searching the forum, Q&A, and all the documentation I can find on Coranto and Maginot, and still not being able to figure out how to do this, now I'm wondering... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stanman
You may be on the right track but if you're standing still, you'll get run over.
stanman

Re: Multiple numbers of headlines for the same profile

Postby Parahead » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:03 am

stanman wrote:In an attempt to keep the archives file manageable, I'm trying to figure out a way to create a link to a "master" archive headings page so that a person would see ALL headlines (not just 5 of them). When they click on any headline, it would take them to the full article, not just the monster list of archives.

I've installed Maginot because from everything I've read about that addon, it's probably what I need but I can't wrap my head around how exactly to make this happen.
I am not sure exactly how you define a the "master" archive headings page but if that means every single newsitem in one big list, you can simply create one new normal profile and one Maginot Static Profile (or use viewnews.cgi) and use the tag <MaginotURL: MaginotStaticProfileName> in the style for the normal profile.

If you instead want an archive which splits up the archive based on month (for example) I would suggest that you create a Maginot Sliced Profile and slice on the appropriate timeperiod to get one overview page for each month. Then create a Maginot Sliced Index Profile to create the overview page with links to each individual month page (created by the Maginot Sliced Profile). In the style used by the Maginot Sliced Profile you either link to the Maginot Static Profile as above using the MaginotURL-tag or to viewnews.cgi. You can basically check out the upper left menu on my site for a demo of how that could look, since this is setup exectly like that (the Sliced Profile presents each newsitem but of course you can change the style to only contain a link to the newsitem instead).

Was this helpfull or did I just made you even more confused? ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

I'll mull this one over

Postby stanman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 am

Thanks Parahead, I really do appreciate the time that you obviously spend helping others on this board. I don't remember reading any posts on this board (and I have read many) where you did not offer help.

I'll study your reply and make a noble attempt at implementing your suggestion. I'll get back to you with the results. :)

Actually, your reply got me thinking that I really do need to break up the "master headline list" into multiple pages or that too will become an albatross.

Thanks,
Stanman
You may be on the right track but if you're standing still, you'll get run over.
stanman

Re: I'll mull this one over

Postby Parahead » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:10 pm

stanman wrote:Thanks Parahead, I really do appreciate the time that you obviously spend helping others on this board. I don't remember reading any posts on this board (and I have read many) where you did not offer help.
Thanks... And well, I offer help, not always convinced my posts are much of a help though... ;-)

stanman wrote:I'll study your reply and make a noble attempt at implementing your suggestion. I'll get back to you with the results. :)
I am positive you will get the hang of it. ;-)

stanman wrote:Actually, your reply got me thinking that I really do need to break up the "master headline list" into multiple pages or that too will become an albatross.
Yes, I agree, breaking up the archive in multiple pages is a must I would say, it will get to large to handle in the end otherwise...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization