Each piece of news on an individual page?

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Each piece of news on an individual page?

Postby Aml » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:36 pm

I'm really ignorant and this question has probabl been asked however I didn't see it. I have a feeling that its something really easy and I just don't understand it or something... but anyway.

My use for Coranto is rather simple. I'm a writer and I like to write a lot so I want to use it as a way to kind of keeping track of all my writing. Now the way it is set up is that it shows each article on the same page, one after another.

What I would like to do is this:

TITLE OF ARTICLE - DATE ARTICLE IS POSTED

The above would be a link and you could click it which would then bring you to that specific article. I'd like all the links to be in alphabetical form with all of them appearing on the main page. So basically I would like it so the person can click on a headline and then it will take them to the article.

Currently my coranto can be seen at :
http://www.classicwrestlingdvds.info/main/news.html

I hope that I've explained this good enough. If someone could help me by posting a step my step way of doing what I talked about above I would be terribly grateful! I'm not good with this stuff at all!
Aml

Postby Esstee » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:23 pm

I think I understand your situation.

You want a sort of continuous flow of news on the same page, news meaning news stories?

If you did you have to consider a few things:

1) how many news is enough?
2) should it be the full news or a piece of each news with a full story attached it?
3) after a certain no. of news should the pages span to a second, third, forth etc...

If you think anb answer these characteristics you can then proceed to the next
step :)

Also along these same lines, learning how Coranto inputs, builds and display's news is a very important factor in getting what your after. I know it may seem like alot to learn at first but its definately worth learning.

I would suggest looking over this article:
http://coranto.org/go/help/docs/EEpAEEFyFFQrQMhDTu

Then this one perhaps:
http://coranto.org/go/help/guides/EEpyEFplFAEqIhIToJ

and finally this one:
http://coranto.org/get.php?g=EEEyEZAAZyeGLhWkrW&v=view

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I went deeper into the belly of Coranto and look! I found maginot.
Esstee

Postby Psykosys » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:21 pm

So you're looking for individual pages for each article and then a headlines page indexing them? You'll want to use Maginot, found in the Download > Addons section. It has good documentation included, just download the addon and upload to your install directory, go to the Addon Manager page of your Coranto install, enable the addon and then click "View Documentation", also on the Addon Manager page. Use the simple "Static" profile type.
Psykosys

Postby Parahead » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:08 am

Psykosys wrote:So you're looking for individual pages for each article and then a headlines page indexing them? You'll want to use Maginot, found in the Download > Addons section.
Or using the viewnews.cgi script bundled with the Coranto distribution. Just a matter of space, cpu and number of visitors if you would like to use one or the other solution...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Aml » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:20 pm

I've got a new question regarding the same problem. I was able to get what I wanted, however now I am having problems setting it up again.

What I want is to have a index page that links to every news article as opposed to just displaying them all on the main page. An example of this is my site right now, classicwrestlingdvds.info/main

now I installed coranto again for a seperate project and wanted to do this again but for each category. Maginot I believe does this however I am having a problem getting things to show up their categories. I keep getting this same problem:

Error: Invalid Maginot Static Profile 'luchalibre' used in a MaginotFile-tag in style 'test2'. Make sure the profile name is correct and that the profile is enabled

Now the profile name is correct and is enabled but I still get this problem.

Here is the code I have in the style "test2":
Code: Select all
<a href="http://www.classicwrestlingdvds.info/tapelist/<MaginotFile: luchalibre>"><Field: Subject></a>

Now luchalibre is a Maginot Sliced profile. In order to create a index page that links to every article in that profile I believe I needed to create a Maginot Sliced Index, which I titled "luchaindex:. I assigned luchalibre to the luchaindex sliced index profile. luchalibre was set to display all the news from a category named "luchalibre". Thinking this was all i had to do I then went to use the
<!--#include virtual="luchaindex.txt" -->
code in my shtml file but nothing would show up.

im terribly sorry if I am confusing you... my head hurts just thinking about it!
Aml

Postby Parahead » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:39 pm

aml wrote:I keep getting this same problem:

Error: Invalid Maginot Static Profile 'luchalibre' used in a MaginotFile-tag in style 'test2'. Make sure the profile name is correct and that the profile is enabled

Now the profile name is correct and is enabled but I still get this problem.

Here is the code I have in the style "test2":
<a href="http://www.classicwrestlingdvds.info/tapelist/<MaginotFile: luchalibre>"><Field: Subject></a>

Now luchalibre is a Maginot Sliced profile. In order to create a index page that links to every article in that profile I believe I needed to create a Maginot Sliced Index, which I titled "luchaindex:.
Read the error message: Invalid Maginot Static Profile. And then you say luchalibre is a Maginot Sliced profile. That would be the cause, right?

You don't mention this, but I guess the style "test2" is used by your Maginot Sliced Index Profile, is that correct? If so, you should use <Field: LinkURL> to present the URL to the correct Sliced page.

I hope this info helps?
Parahead

Postby Aml » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:50 am

Ehh I'm totally lost. Do you kinda get a idea about what I'm trying to do? And if so could you give me simple, quick instructions? Hate to be a pain but I've been working on this for many many hours.
Aml

Postby Parahead » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:14 am

aml wrote:Ehh I'm totally lost. Do you kinda get a idea about what I'm trying to do? And if so could you give me simple, quick instructions? Hate to be a pain but I've been working on this for many many hours.

I was trying to give you quick instructions, but it is hard if you don't answer my questions ;-):
Parahead wrote:You don't mention this, but I guess the style "test2" is used by your Maginot Sliced Index Profile, is that correct?
If so, use <Field: LinkURL> instead of <MaginotURL: NameOfStaticProfile>...
Parahead

Postby Aml » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:52 pm

Thank you! :)
Aml

Return to Customization