I would like to see you guys figure this one out :)

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

I would like to see you guys figure this one out :)

Postby TBloodfist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:16 pm

Alright, I am using the GuestReg addon. When users register, I want there to be AUTOMATICALLY some posts for them to modify (under their own name, of course), in several categories.

Is this feasable?

If any of you hardcoro Coranto guys think this is possible, but after some hard work.. drop me a line, maybe we can negotiate a price...
TBloodfist

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:25 pm

template pre-made posts? or magic "see in to the future" posts about content that they havent written yet? lol
..nuttier then a squirrel turd..
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby TBloodfist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 pm

I guess the first one - template pre made posts
TBloodfist

Postby Lumberjack » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:59 am

Isn't it easier to just let them make a new post? What are your reasons for this?
Lumberjack

Postby TBloodfist » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:25 pm

Basically I am using Coranto to setup a blog site.. where users can register and post their own blocks.

I want there to be a "sample" blog ready for them.. just so that their page does not look empty as soon as they create their account..

Hence all of my weird requests lately :)
TBloodfist

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:26 pm

Perhaps an interest in this 'empty profile' feature would be more appropriate. Something like 'this user has not made any entries yet'.
Lumberjack

Postby TBloodfist » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:15 pm

I've looked into the Empty Profile option, and that simply would not cut it (as far as functionality).

How about this: Would I be able to open up guestreg.cgi (what I am using now), and in the part where it adds a user entry to the database (crfg.cgi file, I think), can I add another part that opens up newsdat.txt, and adds some content (these "pre-made" posts)
TBloodfist

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:00 pm

You can certainly try.
Lumberjack

Postby TBloodfist » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:04 am

I've opened up the file, and I don't konw where to begin ):

Any pointers?
TBloodfist

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:54 am

How about pour through some Coranto code and create a custom addon that would do this? You would need to hook in to where Coranto creates a new user. From there, you can insert something into your newsdat.txt. I think thats the way to go, doesn't sound too complicated.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:40 am

TBloodfist wrote:I've opened up the file, and I don't konw where to begin ):
The guys trying to help you assumes you know Perl, is this a correct assumption?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby TBloodfist » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:09 pm

No, no perl knowledge.

Just highly skilled at copy and paste :)
TBloodfist

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:22 pm

It was subtle sarcasm in response to this:
How about this: Would I be able to open up guestreg.cgi (what I am using now), and in the part where it adds a user entry to the database (crfg.cgi file, I think), can I add another part that opens up newsdat.txt, and adds some content (these "pre-made" posts)

Which does suggest knowledge of Perl, but having read previous posts I didn't think you have any.
Going back to the original point, surely it makes sense that a newly registered user would have no entries in their blog. In fact, I would think their first course of action would be to post one, so that their profile does not look empty! Maybe you could have some instructions on how to post, as the success page of guestreg? Maybe even include a 'template' for them to copy/paste?
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:13 pm

TBloodfist wrote:Just highly skilled at copy and paste :)
A little naiv to think you will be able to solve the coding required for this with just copy and paste skills though... :roll:

LJ wrote:It was subtle sarcasm...
Yeah, I figured, but noticed that the sarcasm was too subtle for the reciever to get it... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:19 pm

I am tempted to conclude, then, that sarcasm perhaps isn't the right way to greet people with a problem :wink:

Oh, still on vacation, btw.
SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Next

Return to Customization