Possible to allow users to edit CERTAIN profile styles?

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Possible to allow users to edit CERTAIN profile styles?

Postby TBloodfist » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:23 am

For example, I may have a sports section on my website, which features a slightly different layout. Would it be possible to allow the users (user in a usergroup), or jsut be specifying them, to change several specific styles?

No.. I am not asking for users to change their coranto appearance.. I need to be able to modify the front page.
TBloodfist

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:56 am

are you asking about a multi-templated website?

or giving cirtain people access to modify the normal look of the site?
..nuttier then a squirrel turd..
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby TBloodfist » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:08 am

Giving ppl access to change the look of the site. But I figured it out a part of it:

Use usergroups addon to allow them to access the nstyle-editsave, and nstyle-edit portions of coranto. The other part.. is showing the edit styles page with ONLY the styles they can edit..
TBloodfist

Postby Parahead » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 am

TBloodfist wrote:Giving ppl access to change the look of the site. But I figured it out a part of it:

Use usergroups addon to allow them to access the nstyle-editsave, and nstyle-edit portions of coranto. The other part.. is showing the edit styles page with ONLY the styles they can edit..
Coranto in general has not a very in depth User/Group Administration in terms of Permissions to do things or access items in Coranto. The Usergroups addon extends this functionality but I guess it could be improved further. Are you familiar with Perl?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:19 am

parahead, my thought process is this.. CAN someone create an xms page, leading to a maginot profile, where cirtain people can edit articles are styles, and a style grabs up that page and then displays it...

granted, this is VERY custom.. and user privilages com into play, as well as if they'd delete or create new articles in that xms page
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby Parahead » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:46 am

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:parahead, my thought process is this.. CAN someone create an xms page, leading to a maginot profile, where cirtain people can edit articles are styles, and a style grabs up that page and then displays it...

granted, this is VERY custom.. and user privilages com into play, as well as if they'd delete or create new articles in that xms page
OK, am I understanding you correctly in that you want to submit styles through the normal (or rather through XMS) Submit News interface? Hmmm... Well, you could use that technique for templates, since they are normal flat files with the extension .tmpl, which could be created through a Maginot Static Profile. A style on the other hand is saved as a Perl subroutine within the crcfg.dat file, so that would make it very hard to create this functionality. Or am I totaly missunderstanding your hole idea?
Parahead

Postby InSAnE NiNjA » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:50 am

perlcode in a real style, can open and parse the fake "style" ?

granted, this is very complex to setup, expecially if he already has a complex setup

it just sort of reminded me of my "sections" idea.. using xms with a page that creates individual seperate (maginot) pages, like "about me", and then just use it's "headlines" as a normal menu

xms could be configured to do that, so the thought process of it configuring styles appealed to me

dont mind me, i design sites with one/two users in mind.. group efforts are not in my path of thinking
InSAnE NiNjA

Postby Parahead » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:17 pm

InSAnE NiNjA wrote:perlcode in a real style, can open and parse the fake "style" ?

granted, this is very complex to setup, expecially if he already has a complex setup
Well, I guess it could, but it probably would slow down the build process if doing the StyleToPerl sub at build time... And like you say, a rather complex and kind of akward way of doing things IMHO. Updating the Usergroups addon to deal with TBloodfist's request would be a little more userfriendly approach?
Parahead

Return to Customization