Approval on Modify

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Approval on Modify

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm setting up something where I would like to have users edit news items, but the news item would have to be approved before the new changes would actually be built.

I've been thinking about this for a few hours now and really haven't come up with a solution. Anyone have any bright ideas?
bozoka45

Re: Approval on Modify

Postby Parahead » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:43 pm

bozoka45 wrote:I'm setting up something where I would like to have users edit news items, but the news item would have to be approved before the new changes would actually be built.

I've been thinking about this for a few hours now and really haven't come up with a solution. Anyone have any bright ideas?
Have you checked out the Approval Manager addon?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Re: Approval on Modify

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:45 pm

bozoka45 wrote:I'm setting up something where I would like to have users edit news items, but the news item would have to be approved before the new changes would actually be built.

I Believe the CustomFields addon will allow you to make a field a 'timestamp' field that is updated whenever news is submitted. Two of these fields could be used to build an approval system.

In one set the update value to always. In the other set the update value to optional. Only give the admin permission to submit/modify the optional field. When building news test that the 'approval' field is more recent than the modify field.

I think this will work - never tried it.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:21 pm

Para, I'm pretty sure that the Approval Manger addon only works when someone is submitting news, not on modify.

Dale Ray, I definately believe that you're on to something here, I like the idea. The only flaw I can think of is what happens if someone builds news when an item is waiting to be modified. The entire newsitem will disappear from the output file because it won't be included.
bozoka45

Postby Dale Ray » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:35 pm

bozoka45 wrote:Para, I'm pretty sure that the Approval Manger addon only works when someone is submitting news, not on modify.

Dale Ray, I definately believe that you're on to something here, I like the idea. The only flaw I can think of is what happens if someone builds news when an item is waiting to be modified. The entire newsitem will disappear from the output file because it won't be included.

If news is built before a modified item is approved it would not be included in the profile output, but would still be in the modified form in newsdat.txt.

If you are using Maginot with a static file for each item this would not be a problem, the file with the item would still be there since Maginot does not delete any files.

As I said I have not tried this.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Parahead » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:53 pm

bozoka45 wrote:Para, I'm pretty sure that the Approval Manger addon only works when someone is submitting news, not on modify.
Yes, me too... But you didn't mention if you had checked it out and it is released as Open Source so it is possible to add improvements...

Dale Ray's suggestion could work as well, some testing required... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Customization