changing .tmpl files path

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby Rickster » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:59 pm

funkoolow wrote:omg, it must be me :(

i still can't understand what to do. i use WSFTP to tranfer files to my space, dunno what this NETOBJ-MX is...

let my guess: do i have to use TELNET to have this LINK DONE (i'm on unix too)? maybe the command

Code: Select all
link path/to/template/dir/template.tmpl template.tmpl

must be typed in a telnet session while being into the coranto root, so that it creates the .htaccess file that ultimatesystem is talkin of?

i really can't catch it, plz suggest me a good translator or at least a good neuropathist :D

Well yes of course. Except .htaccess has nothing to do with this function at all. I'm not sure what ultimatesystem was talking about. Here's some of the manual on 'link'

Code: Select all
NAME
     ln, link - make links

SYNOPSIS
     ln [-fhinsv] source_file [target_file]
     ln [-fhinsv] source_file ... [target_dir]
     link source_file target_file

DESCRIPTION
     The ln utility creates a new directory entry (linked file) which has the
     same modes as the original file.  It is useful for maintaining multiple
     copies of a file in many places at once without using up storage for the
     ``copies''; instead, a link ``points'' to the original copy.  There are
     two types of links; hard links and symbolic links.  How a link ``points''
     to a file is one of the differences between a hard and symbolic link.

Just make sure that there is no physical copy of the file in the coranto directory before you try to make the link.

cheers! :)
Last edited by Rickster on Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickster

Postby Rickster » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:09 pm

msbzdragn wrote:Yes, but won't those still look like files in the directory and still look just as messy in an FTP client? (Personally, I don't find it messy - I find it better to have all my Coranto files in one place, but...)

Maybe that was someone else's point. Mine was to facilitate automatic publishing of the TMPL files to their own directory within the site's structure and to automatically refer to those files inside the coranto directory within cgi-bin. Publishing directly to cgi-bin is a royal pain in Net Objects and you end up needing to move the files manually. Not kewl. This method is simple and elegant. :D
Rickster

Postby msbzdragn » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:24 pm

Ah - yes, the original poster in this thread said they wanted to move things to it wouldn't look messy. So yes, this won't fix their problem - but it will help others who had your problem, if they read this thread. :D
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Postby Rickster » Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:35 pm

msbzdragn wrote:Ah - yes, the original poster in this thread said they wanted to move things to it wouldn't look messy. So yes, this won't fix their problem - but it will help others who had your problem, if they read this thread. :D

Yep. and who knows, even the original poster may find it useful. Serindipidity at work. :D

By the way this is nice forum software ... I'm using Di$cu$ware on my site and it doesn't hold a candle to this.
Rickster

Postby msbzdragn » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:09 pm

Yes, this and phpBB 2.0 are both rather sweet. I really need to compare both head to head, I think. :)
Michael R. Tomkins
Administrator, 'Unofficial Coranto / NewsPro Forums'

Mitsubishi Diamante Forum

Do NOT send me instant messages asking for Coranto help without me telling you explicitly to do so. You WILL be placed on ignore if you do so; I don't have time to provide personal tech support to every person who IM's me. Sorry!
msbzdragn

Previous

Return to Customization