How news headlines display and the full article displays

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Re: question

Postby Jackanape » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Abpadmin wrote:You showed the code that you use for your news.tmpl file. Did you see anything in my profiles or styles that needs to be corrected?

I think you just need to worry about setting up a full html template for your maginot profile, so that your static pages are full html pages, complete with DOCTYPEs, headers, etc. This will also allow you to insert your styles right in the page itself.

As I keep going thru the documentation I thought that the viewnews.cgi was used for displaying the news. But is what you are saying is that the coding that you are using in your news.tmpl doesn't even look at viewnews.cgi?

Correct. viewnews.cgi is one way to display news with Coranto, but not the only one. With Maginot profiles, you're already generating news pages, so you don't need to use viewnews. In fact, I rarely use it, preferring instead to use include statements in my pages.
If this is true then that would make it easier to have different style of templates for different news items.

Absolutely! Have at it!

For me getting coranto setup and working has been very challenging, but I can certainly say that as I keep going thru everything it it a very powerful program that can do many things. I'll be glad when I get it figured out and working.

I think it might be able to make coffee, too, I just need to figure it out. :wink:
I use it for everything from news items to banner management to calendar management to photoalbums...I'm sure there's something else I left out there, too...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

templates

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:52 pm

Jackanape,

If using news.tmpl bypasses and has no relationship with viewnews.cgi

In my stype settings under the default I have the following code:

<p><strong><Field: Subject></strong><br><br>
<Field: Text></p>

My question is this, do I need to change the coding here? I guess I could put in a background color code here to see if news generated has the color background.

If I do need to change the coding here what do I put to use a temlate?

If this style is OK, then does the settings in my profiles bypass the viewnews.cgi and use the news.tmpl? If it does, then wahy on the news.tmpl with a background color not display right.

I used the webwriter and edited the story with the font style and size, it shows up OK, but still no background color.

Jackanape, I think that you are right the right now I just need to use a full html template. I think once I get the template file to work with the background color I can start building from there. Is this correct or are you suggesting doing it differently?

Also each news item has its own html name, if you go to http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/healthinfo.shtml and click on the first news stories it opens up in a new window with http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/new ... rlIUe.html
each story does the same thing with a different name being generated before the .html extension. Where is this html file being generated from? Does the webwriter have anything to do with it, or maginot?
Abpadmin

Re: templates

Postby Jackanape » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Abpadmin wrote:<p><strong><Field: Subject></strong><br><br>

My question is this, do I need to change the coding here? I guess I could put in a background color code here to see if news generated has the color background.

That's fine for a default style...I wouldn't worry about it, because what you're doing with a Maginot static profile is building a new page with your template.

If I do need to change the coding here what do I put to use a temlate?

If this style is OK, then does the settings in my profiles bypass the viewnews.cgi and use the news.tmpl? If it does, then wahy on the news.tmpl with a background color not display right.

As I say above, I recommend building a complete template, including doctypes, etc, with external CSS. The template goes in the cgi-bin/coranto directory, and the style sheet will go in the /news directory.

Now that I think of it, that's probably the reason your color isn't being reflected. Is your .tmpl file in your coranto directory? Double check it.

I think once I get the template file to work with the background color I can start building from there. Is this correct or are you suggesting doing it differently?

Correct. I'm beginning to think it's the location of your template file that is causing the problem.

Also each news item has its own html name, if you go to http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/healthinfo.shtml and click on the first news stories it opens up in a new window with http://www.americanbeefproducer.com/new ... rlIUe.html
each story does the same thing with a different name being generated before the .html extension. Where is this html file being generated from? Does the webwriter have anything to do with it, or maginot?

This is Generated by Maginot, you will find options for it under your maginot profile settings. Under "Maginot Static Page Settings" you can select your options...
Last edited by Jackanape on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

templates

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Jackanape,

In the coranto documentation the tmpl files must reside in the coranto folder so that's where mine are.

I keep having to learn something new. Not very good with css. Now, you say that maginot is doing the news, right? in the webwriter one of the settings in there is for

External CSS _______________________
Use this field to include external CSS file to the editor body area. This is useful if you use a general style sheet for your website.

Does this have anything to do with it?

If not tell me where I need to put what so I can get this working.
Abpadmin

Re: question

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Abpadmin wrote:I thought that the viewnews.cgi was used for displaying the news.

viewnews.cgi is used to display a single news item. This item is displayed 'on the fly', there is no static page for the item.

viewnews.cgi documentation

I recommend the following to give you an overview of how Coranto works:

Coranto - Installation to First News Item
Coranto tutorial part 1 - Installing Coranto
Coranto tutorial part 2 - Displaying your first piece of news
Coranto tutorial part 3 - Profiles, styles and templates

These may help:

Styles - an Overview (follow the links to additional material
Templates - an Overview

Now that you have begun using Coranto it may actually be easier to understand the above docs. Also, when we teach ourselves we sometimes skip what we think we don't need.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

even more confused

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:59 pm

HOLD THE PRESSES

Now I am getting confused again. In the templates overview here is part of what it says.

Template Tags
There are only two tags that work in templates:

<Field: Title>
<Field: Content>

All of the other Coranto tags are not processed in the template, but in the style.

I am getting the news to display, just not like I want it to.

So, can we start over? What is the correct order for things to be done. And after reading some of this, I am maybe a little confused about profiles, styles, maginot and webwriter. I know it has to be something simple that I need to do, so please just plain and simple what are the proper steps that needs to be taken?

Thanks
Abpadmin

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Basics:

Templates are a wrapper for all of the output of a profile.

The style is the code that applied to EACH item in the output of a profile. For each item that will be displayed the syle code is run through ONCE.

Maginot is a very advanced addon for creating static pages. I would advise understanding Coranto without it before adding it into the mix.

WebWriter is an addon that gives WYSIWYG editing. You do not need it to use Coranto and I do not recommend it.

Get a basic install of Coranto working before you try to move to advanced techniques.

The links I gave you will walk you through this.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

trying to figure it out

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:07 pm

You say that webwriter is a wysiwyg editor, but it is not coranto is not needed to use it. If that is the case how are the headlines displayed?

Does webwriter itsself creat the separate newsid.html? If so where in webwriter do you edit it or is that run thru a css file template for the creation of each separate news item? I know that after I edited a story and with coranto commands (I guess) that the headlines and the news displayed as I wanted them, (except for the background color, so I could figure out a template)

May I have misunderstood, I thought that addons worked with/within the coranto program is this not the case?

I am just trying to understand.

Jackanape mentioned using a tmpl in the cgi/coranto folder and then a style in the newsfiles folder.

Again, I am more of a visual person and sometimes have a hard time trying to read and understand. Do you have any simple examples that I could look at to try to understand better?

I am not totally an amateur, but in someways I am beginning to feel like it. I'll be glad to get this working.
Abpadmin

need it working

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:34 pm

I noticed that I joined this forum on the 14th of April, that was 10 days ago.

While I do have some part of coranto working and I think? that I am hopefully getting closer, I need my news to work. I have been working on getting my site up and wanted to have it up by May 1st, but at this rate it won't be happening.

Can someone please give me some help and guidance, I would be really gratefull. I need everything working so I can contact advertisers to pay for everything.

Thanks
Abpadmin

Postby SrNupsen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I need everything working so I can contact advertisers to pay for everything.

Will that include our free time? :twisted:

Seriously, you need to read and understand the basics of Coranto. Please start with the excellent links provided in an earlier post. If English is difficult, then sorry, that's not our domain. If you don't understand the tutorials, then read them again.

I'd love to give you free Coranto lessons, but I have 140% work and 3 kids, so sorry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

trying to understand

Postby Abpadmin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 pm

When I started setting up the coranto I tried the latest version, it wouldn't work, then I happened to see a post here in the forum of someone else having the same problem and it was recommended going back to version 1.24b. Following the same installation instructions it worked.

I would have to dig back thru my history and I might be able to find the link but it had something to do with linux.

In setting up the coranto, if you follow my post and what I was trying to accomplish, it was posted that I needed to use maginot, then when I had a story that needed different styles of text, webwriter was recommended. Then there is the post that says to forget the addons and just use coranto without maginot and webwriter. How does this make anything any easier if coranto by itsself won't do everything?

I'm not expecting anything for free, and I know everyone is trying to help, but sometime when I look at some of the replies they seem to be more generalizations than specific answers and one post seems to conflict with another post.

It seems that I have always had to learn things on the fly rather than learn then apply. Many of the replies have been good on here and have been helpful. Installed the recommeded addons, and most everything is working, just one or two little things that need fine tuning.

I have read and re-read the documentation, but like I said before some parts are hard for me to understand and put into use. Then it seems some parts of the documentation don't get into as much detail as I would like. I am more of a visual person. I have always told customers and others that there is no dumb question, if you don't understand you don't understand.

With that said, I am trying to figure out the template and which program is controlling what for the output of the news. I am not trying to do any fancy coding, just want it as plain and simple as I can. Is coranto, maginot or webwriter in control? I have posted all of my profiles, the settings I used for them when reading and rereading the instructions. I thought if I started with just getting a background color to appear, I can build from there. That's all.
I hope you understand, you are the experts and know these programs inside and out, I don't, I want to learn, and I am trying and sometimes in between some of you replying I keep trying different things, or if I think I am better off to wait until I get a reply I will do that as well.

I really appreciate your input, I know you are trying to be helpful, Thanks.
Abpadmin

re read tutorial and still trying

Postby Abpadmin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 am

OK, I have read the tutorials posted, I have created profiles, and since no one has commented on how I have the settings it must be correct. The style has been edited as I have posted. Lastly win the documentation with maginot I have copied the viewnews.tmpl and made news.tmpl

Now if I have done my setup correctly then the news should work. If I have read and understand the the category is first setup, then I create a profile and select the category it is to be responsible for and the template I want (news.tmpl). Next I need to define a style for the news, and here there are 2 peices, first the default headline style for displaying the headlines and the default style for displaying the news.

So, now when I type in a news story, I select my category, that category is tied to a profile, the using default-heading for the heading and default for the news style. To go along with this I have 2 profiles, one is a standard profile and the other is a maginot one and both are set to use the news.tmpl file

Here is what is in my default style:

<p><strong><Field: Subject></strong><br><br>

and here is what is in my default headlines style:

<strong><a href="<MaginotURL: healthnews>" target="_blank"><Field: Subject></a></strong> - <span class="desc"><Field: Month_Name> <Field: Month_Day></span><br><br>

My headlines show on the page correctly. When I select a news item it is performing like the headlines style (opening up into a new window)

Does the code in my default and default_headlines styles ( are they correct as they are? ) or do they both need to have something to do with maginot?

And, as ask before, where does webwriter fit into this?
Abpadmin

Postby Jackanape » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:07 am

I've just got in from work, and I'm a bit confused as to why you're still having trouble...maybe we should take a step or two back.

Firstly, webwriter is a wysiwyg editor that ONLY makes entering news in html easier--so you don't have to manually type code. I have to agree with Dale, that it is unnecessary, and in this case, it is actively getting in the way of your understanding of the way Coranto works.

So, I recommend disabling Webwriter. You don't need it right now, and it's just adding confusion. You can always re-enable it later...
Just go to your addon admin page, and click the disable button.

You clearly understand what the tutorials are telling you, and how Coranto works. It is Coranto that is "in charge", the rest are the addons, that add functionality.

I would almost recommend going back and disabling Maginot, too, just to get the basics of Coranto down before moving forward, and to help clarify things a bit, but it seems that what you most need to do is work with Maginot...
To clarify: All you are using Maginot for is creating static HTML pages. This is the function of this addon that you need. Everything else is still driven, managed, and generated by Coranto.

So, given that, here's a brief rundown of what you need. You probably have some of these already:

ONE news category
ONE profile -- Maginot Static
NO styles -- use the defaults for now.
ONE TMPL file that you've specified in your profile.

That's it. You should have a working static file, with a color as specified in your template. Let me know.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

didn't work

Postby Abpadmin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:51 am

Jackanape,

As recommended I disabled webwriter.

I did have 2 news stories but I deleted one.

one news category: herd_health
profile of healthnews and is set to maginot static
my styles are the defaults
tmpl is news.tmpl

After disbling webwriter, modifying stories, I still have both titles showing up in herd_health-headlines.txt

No change from what I already have. I noticed I have a category of herd_health and a profile with an internal name of herd_health. Could this be causing a conflict?

In previous posts I have listed how I have everything set.
Abpadmin

Postby Jackanape » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:19 pm

Try rebuilding news, and check your output page again.

If the problem persists, I'd be happy to take a look. I have a couple of hours available this morning...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

PreviousNext

Return to Customization