Help with Feed Builder

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Postby Cjkorf » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 am

Couple small issues I just discoverd:

For some reason the time when I posted the article and the time the news feed displays are an hour off

and

There is no html in the article descriptions
Cjkorf

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 am

Check that Coranto is configured for the same time as your server. You can find this in the Date & Time settings in your administration section.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second one...
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Dale Ray » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 am

Cjkorf wrote:.....There is no html in the article descriptions

Check the settings for the field that you are using for the description. Make sure that the Disable HTML? setting is set to No.

This is under:

Main ->Administration ->News Fields ->Edit (for the field you are using for the description)
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Musicvid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Regarding the RSS Feed Style, HTML tags in the item <description> fields have been disabled for a good reason:

News articles are truncated by default using the built-in Snip command. It is not considered good practice to include the full news article in the RSS item description. The HTML tags are disabled in two places to prevent the description from truncating without a closing tag, the results of which would be disastrous (like turning someone's whole web page into one giant hyperlink!).

That being said, including html tags in an RSS description is a relatively easy process:

1) Download and install Parahead's Snipper addon. Follow the instructions.

2) In the RSS Style, comment out the line by putting a # in front of it
Code: Select all
     $Text       = HTMLstrip($Text);

3) Use Snipper instead of Snip in the item <description> something like this as an example:
Code: Select all
<WordSnip Field: Text Length: 300 ExactLength: yes Dots: no RespectHTML: strong RespectSentance: yes>
If you are doing this you need to be very careful to keep the description <![CDATA[]]> enclosures intact, and of course not allow any extra characters to creep in. :wink: You need to read the the Snipper addon docs in order to see all of the possibilities that are available.

Note that you must leave HTML disabled in <title> fields because it is not in the original RSS specification and different readers will react unpredictably.

Also, the only thing still preventing your feed from validating is the missing image <url>. If you really don't want a picture with your feed, you must take the whole <image></image> element out including the tags..
Musicvid

Postby Musicvid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:38 pm

For some reason the time when I posted the article and the time the news feed displays are an hour off

The feed build indicates that your server is EST, while you are CST. As jackanape mentioned, you should change this in Coranto. Nothing should be changed in the feed style because of compliance with RFC822. Believe me, I've tried and it's not worth it.
Musicvid

Postby Cjkorf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:02 am

Thanks for all the help guys. Think I got the time right now.
Cjkorf

Previous

Return to Customization