SEO for Maginot Line

Discuss news styles, css code, and other Coranto customizations in here...the possibilities are endless, so have at it!

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

SEO for Maginot Line

Postby PFCritics » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:47 pm

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I believe having dashes instead of underscores for URLs containing a subject w/ spaces in Maginot 16/17 would be more beneficial for search engine optimization.

Here's an example. Let's say that you posted a news item with the subject "Coranto Rules"! Under the current method, Maginot shows that as Coranto_Rules in the URL. However, in order for someone to find that higher up in a search engine, they would actually need to be searching for "Coranto_Rules", with an underscore included. When you make it so that the URL shows "Coranto-Rules", a person who searches "Coranto Rules" will likely see the result much better. :)

Backup your nsettings.cgi file before attempting

In cra_maginot (Build 16 and 17)

FIND:
$_ =~ s/ +/_/g;

REPLACE WITH:
$_ =~ s/ +/-/g;

Hope it helps someone 8)
PFCritics

Postby YushDon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks PFCritics, I have been looking for just that solution!

Now I need to know how to make the title/subject appear in lowercase letters. If we take your example Coranto-Rules I'd like coranto-rules.

Any ideas with that?
YushDon

Postby Musicvid » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm

YushDon wrote:Now I need to know how to make the title/subject appear in lowercase letters. If we take your example Coranto-Rules I'd like coranto-rules.

Any ideas with that?

Try this:

Code: Select all
my $Subject = lc($Subject);
Musicvid

Return to Customization