Andross Designs

Show off your Coranto-powered web sites in here!
Want to get some ideas as to what Coranto can do? Come on in, and browse...

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Andross Designs

Postby Andross » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:13 am

While it's not 100% section wise, it's pretty much powered by Coranto as a whole, nothing more. Coranto was a life saver for my site (and yes, use that in one of those promotional quotes if you want :P).

Hope you like it! (And once I figure out how I can do random news the way I want it to, that recent art thing will be random art, and look a whole lot better).
Andross

Postby Psykosys » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:06 am

That's all very well and good, but what's your site's address? :)
Psykosys

Postby Andross » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Holy crap, I thought I threw it in somewhere. Sorry bout that.
http://www.designrelief.com/andross
Andross

Postby bozoka45 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:08 am

Might want to get rid of that link to coranto.cgi, it posses a security threat.
bozoka45

Postby Andross » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Err, after using Coranto for a year with no one hacking *and making weekly backups*, the likelihood of someone managing to break an account would be kinda pointless (and doubtable). I'm not that much of a target anyway.

Do you have a suggestion for providing staff a login link, but keeping the program files safe?
Andross

Postby bozoka45 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:52 am

Andross wrote:Do you have a suggestion for providing staff a login link, but keeping the program files safe?

Tell them to bookmark it I guess. Or, make it the same color as the background so that regular people can't see it without really looking for it. It sounds like you're ok without doing anything though.
bozoka45

Postby Andross » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks. Well, anyone else have comments? Is it good, decent, could use work? ...
Andross

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:15 am

I agree with bozoka about the link there, either have your staff bookmark the link, or hide it somehow.
As for the site design, could you replace the Home link with simply / ? using index.php?id=home seems redundant, as / loads up the same page. I don't know why I'm so picky about that! Also, the gallery page could use a bit more spacing. Other than that, the layout is nice, got a nice feel to it. I like the quote at the top, that's random I assume, from reading your posts.
Lumberjack

Postby Parahead » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:18 pm

You are not that scare of hackers are you? Publishing a guest account like that? Anyone can change the password or delete quotes posted by others. Depending on how you have things set up it might be possible to post evil code as well... I would recomend you using the Guestpost addon instead.

Also, you might want to check out the ShadowMail addon so you don´t present your e-mail to the public and for e-mail harvesters to collect...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Andross » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:58 pm

They aren't able to delete quotes. I approve quotes, which are moved from a guest category to an official one (that they can't see). If any bad things happen, as in they decide to mess around or delete quotes waiting for approval, the guest account is stripped.

I also already know how to protect my e-mail. I was going to use a JavaScript I already knew, but I guess that'll do. My page also won't appear in search engines I think, as there's a code on the designrelief page that says 'don't look here bots' in laymens. I'm not sure if it actually extends to mine, so I'll do the ShadowMail anyway.

I will get the GuestPost if you recommend it, I just need to be able to approve things. And I assume it'll work fine. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll do that stuff now.

Lumberjack: I actualy like the id= thing, so I guess I'm weird like that :P
I'll adjust bottom margins on those divs I use to space out things in gallery. Thanks for comments on the layout :)

EDIT: I am using GuestPost now, but ShadowMail is not what I need for what I want to do. I'll just use my block-harvester script.
Andross

Postby Dale Ray » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:15 am

Andross wrote:I am using GuestPost now, but ShadowMail is not what I need for what I want to do. I'll just use my block-harvester script.

If you want an anonymous form mailer that you can manage with Coranto see this page which offers an alternative to ShadowMail (which I have not used).
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

Postby Andross » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:17 am

Again, I don't have a need for such a thing. I'm only concerned about spam bots picking up the e-mail, but I've put in the script that stops such anyway. I don't care for a contact page at the moment.
Andross

Postby Parahead » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:19 pm

Andross wrote:Again, I don't have a need for such a thing. I'm only concerned about spam bots picking up the e-mail, but I've put in the script that stops such anyway. I don't care for a contact page at the moment.
I understand your point. Just wanted to inform you that you do have your email "intact" in one place on that page though, ready for spambots to pick it up... ;-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Andross » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:49 pm

That's only what it looks like. The way it's setup prevents any bots from using it though.

Can we get to layout comments/suggestions now? :lol:
Once I got a better understanding of DIVs and displaying them like tables, I plan on doing more CSS with coding, on a sidenote.
Andross

Postby muttly » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:42 am

Your site looks fine. Usually the font sizes are wacky in Safari because no one bothers testing on Mac browsers.

When you get ready to go with the CSS layout, you might begin with this 3 column template as a starting point. It's very robust and the css is very well commented.

Code: Select all
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/skidoo_too/

In theory, you should only use px for print styles because you can't count on the size of a pixel from one monitor to the next. Here are some font references I use to to achieve cross-platform consistancy -

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/index.html

http://www.clagnut.com/blog/348/
[/code]
muttly

Next

Return to Showcase