Infohuts

Show off your Coranto-powered web sites in here!
Want to get some ideas as to what Coranto can do? Come on in, and browse...

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Infohuts

Postby jdaddy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:21 am

So I've used coranto (then newspro) in the past, and then moved on to more portal-minded php scripts. Now it seems I am back to coranto, at least for one of my sites. I needed the flexibility to organize the site the way I wanted it, and I figured coranto never stood me wrong.

Infohuts.com is the site. There aren't many articles up there yet. Let me know what you think.

Notice the Coranto link at the bottom. :)[/url]
jdaddy

Re: Infohuts

Postby Parahead » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:31 am

jdaddy wrote:So I've used coranto (then newspro) in the past, and then moved on to more portal-minded php scripts. Now it seems I am back to coranto, at least for one of my sites. I needed the flexibility to organize the site the way I wanted it, and I figured coranto never stood me wrong.
If you have the time and want to, would you mind share with us the pros and cons with Coranto in comaparison to the other scripts you have been using.

jdaddy wrote:Infohuts.com is the site. There aren't many articles up there yet. Let me know what you think.
A nice start... :-D
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby jdaddy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:10 pm

Well with most other scripts I have used, you have to lay things out the way the script allows you to. I like how with coranto I can have multiple newsstyles, multiple profiles, and multiple categories. I can then lay things out the way I want to. Coranto is a lot more labor intensive if you want to do cool things, but other scripts don't even give you the ability to customize everything.

You can use Coranto right out of the box, but if you know more than just the basic knowledge of scripting and web design then you can do pretty interesting things too.

For example, I created a php script that loads the files for multipages and alphapages. If a file doesn't exist, it checks for another file, and if that doesn't exist the page says that there are no articles. I was able to employ some of my php knowledge, and join that with what coranto allows me to do.

Another example, is that I load the alphapages/multipages linkbars and then I rewrite the code that links to the other files for letters and numbers so that it passes them to my php script. Then my php script checks for those variables and loads the correct file.
jdaddy

Postby Parahead » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:24 am

jdaddy wrote:You can use Coranto right out of the box, but if you know more than just the basic knowledge of scripting and web design then you can do pretty interesting things too.
Thank you for your thoughts, it very much confirm my own opinions... :-) And I agree that there are many CMS out there that makes it possible to create a full featured site in less time and effort than Coranto, but the problem often starts when you would like to tweak and bend those scripts to do what you want.

I am planning on writing some kind of "introductional" FAQ to Coranto aimed for people looking at Coranto for the first time and this info could maybe be incorporated into that one...
Parahead

Postby jdaddy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:47 am

Go for it.

What I love about Coranto is the lack of bloat. Sure there are plenty of features and addons, but you online download and install the ones you want. You aren't required to have all kinds of features you don't want and then have to figure out how to turn them off.
jdaddy

Postby Parahead » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:11 am

jdaddy wrote:What I love about Coranto is the lack of bloat. Sure there are plenty of features and addons, but you online download and install the ones you want. You aren't required to have all kinds of features you don't want and then have to figure out how to turn them off.
Yes, this is also a very good point! I know that many webhosts in the states provide a huge amount of space for each user, but here in Sweden for example I start off with 10 Mb of space, which makes it vital for the CMS I choose not to take up all that space before I have even posted my first piece of article...

I also know that Dale Ray is in charge for a documentation project, I will cyncronize my work with him so we don´t make double work. He may be planing some kind of section named "Is Coranto the CMS for me?" or something like that...
Parahead

Postby neostasis » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:05 am

I like your site. Keep up the great work.

Hopefully my site will be god enough to post online soon :D
[image removed by administrator]
neostasis

Return to Showcase