Association directory and event calendar

Show off your Coranto-powered web sites in here!
Want to get some ideas as to what Coranto can do? Come on in, and browse...

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Association directory and event calendar

Postby jfreed » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:43 am

I'm almost! done putting together a site using Coranto in ways that have been fun (?) for me to figure out.

http://www.culinarysantacruz.com

There's an events listing and a member directory. I used X Multi Submit to make it easier for users to post to one or the other, each is a news category.

ChangeDateNew is essential for the calendar -- because I couldn't figure out how to sort a "regular" field by its chronological date... so I'm using the creation date to keep the calendar in order.

For the Member pages, I've got Multipart for images, Sort Orders for sorting (duh), and the older SearchNews (2.2) worked better for me. I wanted to allow visitors to contact members without spambot suckage, so I used SCForm and made a Style with the member's email key as a Coranto field -- it's a kludge, but seems to work!

Another kludge -- some members are connected with businesses, so I manually put in the business name and its Coranto ID to make that link.

I installed Approval Manager but haven't finished testing that.

I also want to make a page with the members listed by category -- couldn't figure that out so I'm making it manually right now (sigh). The alphabetical listing is autogenerated.

Anyway, much fun reading the boards to put this together -- thanks for all the great advice and the mods!!! :D
-J
--
Joshua Freedman
Inspire Design
jfreed

Postby Parahead » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:48 am

Great work jfreed, I really like the site! :-D Clean graphics, easy to navigate... Also, since you mention some glitches you have run across, I just though I give you some hints.

jfreed wrote:ChangeDateNew is essential for the calendar -- because I couldn't figure out how to sort a "regular" field by its chronological date... so I'm using the creation date to keep the calendar in order.
I am using SortOrders 2.3 to do just that. Sorting by two fields, one is the date (2004-01-27) and the other a time (09:30). Well, the date has to in descending order and that might not suite you... ChangeDateNew 3.1 also has the abbility to specify an enddate when a post should be filtered out, great when publishing events that should be removed from the site the day after.

jfreed wrote:I wanted to allow visitors to contact members without spambot suckage, so I used SCForm and made a Style with the member's email key as a Coranto field -- it's a kludge, but seems to work!
Funny that you should say that, because I have some plans in the back of my head to make an addon that would make it possible to send emails to a poster without the visitor seeing the emailaddress of that person. Is your solution something that can be used by others or maybe even modified into an addon or "coworking-addon" with SCForm?

jfreed wrote:I also want to make a page with the members listed by category -- couldn't figure that out so I'm making it manually right now (sigh). The alphabetical listing is autogenerated.
Again, SortOrders should be able to what you want? If you set it to sort by two fields and the first one you set to "Category" (the last one in the dropdown box) and the other to Subject, name or whatever you want to sort by... Maybe you can be using the solution provided in this thread to get a style to do what you want with a category-header only above a member when it is new category.

The latest versions of the addons I taked about works with 1.23 of Coranto and can be found trough one of the links in my signature.

Once again, I really like your site! :-)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby Dale Ray » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:23 pm

jfreed,

Nice site! This is a terrific example of the flexibilty of Coranto.
Last edited by Dale Ray on Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Ray
Dale Ray

thanks and how to make the blind contact form with scform

Postby jfreed » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:08 pm

Thanks Parahead -- I greatly appreciate the suggestions for solving some of my challenges!! Will explore!

I thought the sortorder would treat my date as a text string -- is that why you put year first?

Making a "blind" contact form would be a great addon -- I've put my steps below, hopefully it will help others in the meantime.. and you to make the addon package!!

And Thanks Dale for the kudos. One of my favorite aspects of Coranto is it's easy for me to integrate into visually appealing sites... don't need to have a site that looks "database driven"
:wink:

About the scform -- anyone could replicate this, but it's a bit awkward, and I think it'd be pretty easy for someone seasoned to package it up into a combo-addon.

Here's what I did:
1. Followed the instructions on scform for integrating into Coranto. (see http://www.corantodemo.net/scform.php
This resulted in 3 new fields and a profile called Contacts

2. Created a new template for the popup, pop.tmpl, basically blank version of viewnews.tmpl with <Field: Content>

3. Created a new style "contact" to go into the popup with the "FormKey" embedded as a hidden field. Note that the field is called "whoto" which threw me. Also note that in the styles manager, it appears that "contact" is not used by any profile (because it is only called when forced by step 5, below.
Here's what's in "contact":
<Field: CustomField_First> <Field: CustomField_Last>
<table><tr><td>
<form action="scformproc.php" method="post">
<table>
<tr><td align="right"><input type="hidden" name="whoto" value="<Field: CustomField_FormKey>">
Your name:</td><td align="left"><input type="text" name="name" size=30></td></tr>
<tr><td align="right">Email address:</td>
<td align="left"><input type="text" name="email" size=30></td></tr>
<tr><td align="right">Subject:</td>
<td align="left"><input type="text" name="subject" size=30></td></tr>
<tr><td align="right">Message:</td>
<td align="left"><textarea name="comments" rows=10 cols=28></textarea></td></tr>
<tr><td align="right"></td>
<td align="left"><div align="center"><input type="submit" name="s" value="Send this email!" /></div></td></tr>
</table></form></td></tr></table>

4. Added a jscript for the popup into the viewnews.tmpl
<script language="JavaScript" name="OpenURL"><!--
var AvHeight = screen.availHeight-50;
var AvWidth = screen.availWidth;

function OpenURL(url, wname, w, h) {
if (w == null) w = AvWidth*7/8;
if (h == null) h = AvHeight*7/8;
if(self.name != "") wname = wname+"_"+self.name;
var wnd = window.open(url, wname, "width="+w+",height="+h+",status=0,toolbar=0,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1");
if (wnd) wnd.moveTo(AvWidth/2-w/2, AvHeight/2-h/2);
}
// -->
</script>

5. link to call up the form in my "view member" style, note the href calls the jscript above forcing the pop template (if that member wants to be contactable).
<If: Field: CustomField_FormKey>
<tr><td><div align="right">Email:</div></td><td><a href="javascript:OpenURL('http://culinarysantacruz.com/coranto/viewnews.cgi?id=<Field: newsid>&style=contact&tmpl=pop','_blank',250,300)">Email <Field: CustomField_First> <Field: CustomField_Last></a></td></tr>
</If>

I do think an easier and cleaner way would be to simply pass the "whoto" in the URL to a "non-coranto" php page.
popcontact.php would have the form, same as in step 3 above with:
<input type="hidden" name="whoto" value="$whoto"

Then call it with URL:
javascript:OpenURL('popcontact.php?whoto=<Field: CustomField_FormKey>','_blank',250,300)

The only downside is that my current structure shows the name it's going to... that could be passed as well...

6. Finally, I added the 3 scform fields to my "members" submit form.

Ok -- maybe not for the neophyte, but no actual programming required!!!

:-)
-J
--
Joshua Freedman
Inspire Design
jfreed

Re: thanks and how to make the blind contact form with scfor

Postby Parahead » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:08 pm

jfreed wrote:I thought the sortorder would treat my date as a text string -- is that why you put year first?
It is possible to sort numeric too, but the date must be in descending order to work. Unless you create three fields; year, month, day. That way you can sort by them one way (descending) and present them on the site in anther fashion... SortOrders doesn´t support sorting by three fields currently though, but it is not hard to implement. ;-)

jfreed wrote:Making a "blind" contact form would be a great addon -- I've put my steps below, hopefully it will help others in the meantime.. and you to make the addon package!!
Thanks, I´ll look into it a little deeper later on when making the addon to see what can be reused... :)
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Showcase