Maximumgamer.com

Show off your Coranto-powered web sites in here!
Want to get some ideas as to what Coranto can do? Come on in, and browse...

Moderator: Spunkmeyer

Maximumgamer.com

Postby Ixian » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:33 am

www.maximumgamer.com

Been using Coranto for over a year and a half now, figured might as well post about it:)

There are two distinct parts to it Coranto-wise:

Front page. News items, headlines, and the features blocks, including the images, are all via Coranto. Info is stored in a mysql db, although it's not CorantoSQL since that has major issues with some of my other addons. I have a custom script that parses the newsdat (run every time news is built to catch all new items and mods) and sorts it into the db, then a php script that pulls it back out. I also build static Maginot pages for "fullnews" items. I'm still working on getting Maginot stuff to play with mySQL.

I also do all my custom sections (privacy policy, game center, server stats, etc) via Coranto.

My real "showcase" of what can be done with Coranto is my reviews section, at www.maximumgamer.com/reviews . All that is built via Coranto, including the ratings, screenshots, and multi-page setup. All that took a lot of work and a lot of help from some fine folks here. It uses:

Custom build of Maginot. Specifically, MaginotX modified to support page titles in addition to just plain old split pages.

Custom build of Webwriter. In addition to modding it so I could integrate a spell checker, now that the new release uses htmlarea (hallelujah!) I managed to mod it to add extra buttons/functionality I needed, like Spellchecking and the above mentioned page title support (to start a new page, I click the new page button, type the title of the page in the popup, and click ok - no more clumsy in-html editing).

Some custom Perlcode routines to add stuff like the table of contents at the bottom and my review/article drop-down navigation box at the top (done in javascript buried in Perlcode).

Modified Multipart 1.52. I like NetPBM and all, but GD2 produces much better thumbnails so I changed it to use that. Now if only Phil would tell me how to fix it so I can changed images in Modify News instead of only at submit time, I'd REALLY be happy:)

Multipart is what I use to upload images via the submit reviews. XMS is what keeps me from having to put that stuff on every submit page and lets me assign submit sections for each of my many categories.

I wrote a php script to display and show the images. That part was easy. I love php.

The review ratings are a combo of different images, and/if perlcode, and a ton of style code. That part took the longest.

As it stands now, any of my reviewers can log in, click submit reviews, title it, write a short "teaser", write the main review, divide it up in to pages, add in info such as publisher, title, esrb rating, etc, assign a rating to each of the criteria (and if any are not-applicable, my code handles that too), and upload screenshots, all from within Coranto. Then they click submit, it goes into the approval que (approval manager addon by Lawrence), I edit it, and away it goes. All dynamic, and once again if I can just figure out how to get Maginot split pages into mySQL without ugly hacks, I'd truly be happy.

Overall I'd say my absolute favorite addons for Coranto are:

vbcomments: The addon that got me into Coranto in the first place - even though, as I found out, the version Elvii did was broke and I ended up waiting many months until Lawrence kindly re-did it:)

Maginot: What a great addon. So many uses, so little time.

Webwriter: Now that it uses htmlarea, it's a whole new level of goodness. This kind of thing should come standard with Coranto, at least as an option.

Multipart: I love Phil, and he writes some good addons, even though he doesn't always add stuff people request and has a naming scheme I still can't figure out - why is this upload addon called Multipart, for one? And don't EVEN get me started on Tinnabaltum, his depreciated Categories addon. Why not just call it what it does, I figure, but I'm not the one writing this stuff and anyway MP is a very useful addon.

Chameleon: Only because I hated the original coranto style and this addon made it easy to change

XMS: Couldn't run Coranto without it, as far as I am concerned.

Facelift would have made the list if the author would update it. Hopefully now that there is a "final" release out he will, because that is one very useful addon for admins.

RelatedNews is one of those that seemed really good, but I ended up having too many problems with. Now that I have basic news in the database I am working on my own script outside of Coranto - which of course is the reason I wanted it in the db in the first place (and yes, I am aware Coranto's newdat files act as "flat-file" db's, so let me modify that to say - in a relation database system).

I've never liked any of the search news cgi options, and mostly rely on modified vbulletin search routines to do it for me. Same goes for archiving, for that matter.

Anyway, there's work yet to be done - Maximumgamer is always a work in progress - but that's where it stands. Next up I am finishing my article system, which will be like the review section only not. And after that I am sure I will find something interesting to do with Coranto once again:)
Ixian

Postby kriko » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:31 am

What can I say :shock: VERY cool indeed :) I love the graphics, I love how you manipulated with Coranto to make it work on a site like that. Heck of a work, I presume :)

And how did you make that logo?? 8)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby sqyttles » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:42 pm

I must say that your site is really good and is a true showcase of what Coranto is capable of. I will look to your site when making my own web site.
[url=http://www.guffyspace.com/download/bluejeans/]Rob: check for lumpz
Li'l Steve: k[/url]
sqyttles

Re: Maximumgamer.com

Postby Pirate Elf » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:48 am

Ixian wrote:....

XMS: Couldn't run Coranto without it, as far as I am concerned.

Can I get an AMEN?

(Nice work by the way. I am curious how you did the edit / nuke area (make it look like a forum))
Nichts ist für dich
Nichts war für dich
Nichts bleibt für dich
Für immer
Pirate Elf

Postby Zygor » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:40 am

That amount of work has paid off by the look of it, well done mate! That site is a credit to you. :wink:
Zygor
I drop by now and again.
Zygor

Postby kfc » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:32 pm

coranto link = .... where?
-= LANmaniac =-
www.LANmaniac.com
24HR SoCal Gigabit LAN Party!
kfc

Postby kriko » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:55 pm

Doesnt give out any information that it is managed by Coranto anyway... Maybe they switched to something else?!
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby admin » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:23 pm

I wish somebody with design skills like those would lend a hand with our redesign!
admin

Postby kfc » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:31 pm

for the http://coranto.org site?
-= LANmaniac =-
www.LANmaniac.com
kfc

Postby kriko » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:34 pm

kfc wrote:for the http://coranto.org site?

yep.. thats the thing he is talking about :)
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby kriko » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:38 pm

kfc wrote:coranto link = .... where?

Same thing I would ask from you. I viewed your site and did find clues that you were using Coranto on your site, but the Powered by link? Where can I find that??
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Postby kfc » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:44 pm

kriko wrote:

Same thing I would ask from you. I viewed your site and did find clues that you were using Coranto on your site, but the Powered by link? Where can I find that??

the links section of my site
-= LANmaniac =-
www.LANmaniac.com
kfc

Postby kriko » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:53 pm

kfc wrote:
kriko wrote:

the links section of my site

interesting, checked that page earier too but didnt see it there then.. oh well
Kristjan aka. kriko
now a wireless expert
kriko

Return to Showcase