multilingual content (i18n)

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

multilingual content (i18n)

Postby UnderMine » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 am

Currently Coranto handles internationalisation (i18n) only as far as allowing the site to be in one of a number of languages. (version 1.31 appears to better at this but I have not had enough time to evaluate it fully)

Two things that would be desirable.

1. Using iso codes rather than english text to identify language dependant information.

2. The ability to handle article translations.

The second can be done in two ways.
a. Seperate files for each language and then looking up to see if the correct language file is available.
b. Tags allowing a language specific tags to seperate out the english and french content.

Ideally you would also need to add reporting tools to report on missing translations and an editor that seperated out the various translations allowing you two see them side by side.

Paddy
UnderMine

Re: multilingual content (i18n)

Postby Parahead » Sun May 07, 2006 1:28 pm

UnderMine wrote:Currently Coranto handles internationalisation (i18n) only as far as allowing the site to be in one of a number of languages. (version 1.31 appears to better at this but I have not had enough time to evaluate it fully)
Yes, 1.31.x is better in the i18n area... However, Coranto was not designed from the begining to be a truly internationalized CMS and core functionality would need to be altered to get it.

UnderMine wrote:1. Using iso codes rather than english text to identify language dependant information.
Please elaborate...

UnderMine wrote:2. The ability to handle article translations.

The second can be done in two ways.
a. Seperate files for each language and then looking up to see if the correct language file is available.
b. Tags allowing a language specific tags to seperate out the english and french content.
To have article translations would be possible to add through an addon, mabye something *similar* as the XMS addon but when you choose a newsitem you publish it in a particular language. In the addon ShadowMail I have also added language support and depending on the visitors browser setting different content can be presented, something similar can be achived for complete articles...

UnderMine wrote:Ideally you would also need to add reporting tools to report on missing translations and an editor that seperated out the various translations allowing you two see them side by side.
I am not sure you speek of the Coranto admin interface or for articles now? If the first option, I agree and some work was done by the community member SomeGuyNamedJim regarding a language tool for creating and revising language files as discussed in this topic but it kind of ran out in the sand...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development