Addon Uninstall

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Addon Uninstall

Postby bozoka45 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:42 am

A topic that's been brough up before is addons leaving "cookies" (if you will) in the nsettings.cgi file. Would it be possible to implement an "uninstall" feature, in addition to the diable feature?

My thoughts would be that the addon itself would have to have the uninstall code already done, it would basically just need a hook I guess. That way, addons would completely remove themselves from the nsettings.cgi file.

Just an idea I had, not sure if there's must interest for it :)
bozoka45

Postby SrNupsen » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:26 am

As you say it has been brought up before - and addon coders are free to implement it if they want to :)

SrNupsen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby bozoka45 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:02 am

It would be much easier with a hook already in place :)
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:59 am

bozoka45 wrote:It would be much easier with a hook already in place :)
Yes, I agree... It would be easier if there was an option at the Addon Manager page with an "uninstall" link for each addon. Currently when selecting "Disable" I would not want the addon to completely remove all traces of it. It would be a simple matter of making a copy of the sub AddonDisable and extend it somewhat...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby SrNupsen » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:43 am

Is there really a problem with nsettings.cgi getting bloated? Is it affecting the speed or performance of Coranto in any way?

I've been using Coranto for 3 years now on a small/medium site. Newsdat is 1.5Mb and nsettings.cgi is roughly 50kb. Lots of addons have passed by, though... Have I been lucky?

And if this isn't really a performance problem (but more a purist aesthetical one :wink: ), then could we please get that SQL addon working first?

SrNupsen
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
SrNupsen

Postby bozoka45 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:35 pm

Actually, one of the reasons that makes me think of this is the SQL addon. Once it's installed, it makes an entry in nsettings under CorantoSQLbuilt. Other addons use this setting to test whether or not to do SQL or newsdat changes (one of the disadvantages of not having multi-database functions). Well, when someone installs this addon, and sees they dont want it, and disables it, it can sometimes cause a little problem.

It's a small feature, yet relatively easy.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:06 am

SrNupsen wrote:Is there really a problem with nsettings.cgi getting bloated? Is it affecting the speed or performance of Coranto in any way?

I've been using Coranto for 3 years now on a small/medium site. Newsdat is 1.5Mb and nsettings.cgi is roughly 50kb. Lots of addons have passed by, though... Have I been lucky?

And if this isn't really a performance problem (but more a purist aesthetical one :wink: ), then could we please get that SQL addon working first?
I would say that this feature would allow the addon to clean up all the breadcrumbs it has spread out, not just in the nsettings.cgi file. But I agree, it is not high priority issue...
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development