SQL Settings

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

SQL Settings

Postby bozoka45 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:53 am

Just a thought for the next release, but I think it would be nice for SQL settings within the Advanced Settings. When someone selects to enable SQL support, these options should appear. I have several addons I could update to use these fields.
bozoka45

Re: SQL Settings

Postby Parahead » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:31 am

bozoka45 wrote:Just a thought for the next release, but I think it would be nice for SQL settings within the Advanced Settings. When someone selects to enable SQL support, these options should appear. I have several addons I could update to use these fields.
Isn't this a request for the CSQL addon rather than for the core?
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Postby bozoka45 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:18 pm

No, it's for the Core. Several of my addons need the settings for an SQL database. Because I can't and shouldn't rely on people having certain addons, I need to have each addon create it's own field for username, password, database, and database location. If these settings are built into the core, all SQL addons could use the same values, thus reducing the size of the nsettings.cgi file as well as making it a tad easier for addon authors in that they won't have to create a settings page.
bozoka45

Postby Parahead » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:01 am

bozoka45 wrote:No, it's for the Core. Several of my addons need the settings for an SQL database. Because I can't and shouldn't rely on people having certain addons, I need to have each addon create it's own field for username, password, database, and database location. If these settings are built into the core, all SQL addons could use the same values, thus reducing the size of the nsettings.cgi file as well as making it a tad easier for addon authors in that they won't have to create a settings page.
I understand your point and it is a valid onw. However, those addons, what information located in the database would they use? Newsitems? Wouldn't the CSQL addon be a requirement for the other addons to work anyway then so you could basically rely on the CSQL settings? And if we would add this feature in the core and then you create addons that rely on it, what about using that addon with C1.24? Since Coranto itself isn't database driven it feels kind of strange to have those settings in the core.

And I would say that you talk about the C1.24 approach of using a database through CSQL, but like we discussed in the other thread, implementing a DBI/DBD approach would require a settings page for the DBD module and if the user used the MySQL DBD the settings you require would be collected in one page.
Yes, I am still around...
www.parahead.com/coranto/
Parahead

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development