Dev release

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Dev release

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Please can you rename this forum just Coranto Development, as I feel like I'm posting in the wrong place! Here is the to-do from Parahead's documentation:

Parahead wrote:The things that needs attention in this release before it can be classified as an official stable release.

* Create an upgrade script so that users using live installations of Coranto 1.24 can upgrade to 1.31 smoothly
* Verify which addons work and don´t work with the new folder structure (the new CConfig variables)
* Improve the documentations to reflect the changes (the setup steps in particular)
* Update the Addon Guide with the AddonDoc2 feature, localisation support (CRaddonmsg) and this thread
* Create a document explaining how to use the language files and how to make a translation (create translation script?)
* Preferably the previously supported langues in 1.30.x should be 'upgraded' to the 1.31.x series
* Change so that a filelock isn't involved when *reading* of nsettings.cgi (causes problems for some addons, EasyEdit for example).
* Change handling of building dates, as in this topic
* Test, test, test!

The addon guide does in fact contain information about Doc2, but the localisation support needs to be looked at.

Some of this stuff would need a working knowledge of the development to understand without having to look into the source, so it will have to wait until we can investigate the meaning..
Last edited by Lumberjack on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lumberjack

Re: Dev release

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Lumberjack wrote:Please can you rename this forum just Coranto Development, as I feel like I'm posting in the wrong place!

I will actually open a new forum for the dev release. Again, I didn't do it in the first place, because I wanted to make sure our efforts were all focused towards the immediate task at hand...

Will open that today.
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Yes that was going to be my suggestion, but actually after 1.25 ships out, this is the dev release forum..
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Parahead wrote:Below are some more longer term improvement ideas listed (in no particular order!):

* separate nuser.cgi file (to strip the user settings out of nsetting.cgi and leave in its own file)
* Coranto newsdat abstraction layer, different package files for different DB's (flat/SQL). The B-suggestion in this thread
* Nicer internal GUI arrangement (see this thread). Some work has been done...
* More complete Preview (which includes the Maginot internal fields, such as split pages tags)
* Foldable display of categories and profiles (grouped under a virtual Super-Profile and a virtual SuperCategory)
* Skins for the output news (as an addon?)
* The backup addon only backs up newsdat according to its features. It would be good to include nsettings.cgi in the backup, and perhaps a few others.
Last edited by Lumberjack on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Lumberjack wrote:Yes that was going to be my suggestion, but actually after 1.25 ships out, this is the dev release forum..

I think it remains in our best interest to maintain current and model-specific dev forums during dev, so that the information therein doesn't get too jumbled. I just opened a 1.3 forum, and will shift some topics there.
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Sure no prob. I'm trying to think of some nice ways to test Maginot... I do have the most fantastic use of it on a live site, I should try to emulate that.
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:07 pm

* It says "abbrevated" instead of "abbreviated" i crlang.pl

Fixed on the two lines in crlang.pl.
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:58 pm

* Remove the CRLog module and the use of it in sub SaveCConfig in crlib.pl

Done. I also uncommented the CRcough as below, I assume this is correct.
Code: Select all
      if( !-e $temppath || !-r $temppath || -z $temppath ) {
print $lock "...failure!\n";
         # failure!
         unlink($temppath);
         exit if(defined $main::in{'adminarea'});
         CRcough("Settings save failed!");
      }
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:06 am

Next on my immediate to-do list:
* update the internal documentation display subroutines to reflect the new colour scheme and style
Lumberjack

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:32 pm

Done, updated the stylesheet in the MiniPod subroutine of cradmin.pl
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:49 pm

I have been following your progress with great interest, Lumberjack...I may have to learn some perl in 2007...
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 pm

I noticed a bug in the MiniPod subroutine.. well, not a bug as such, just that some people aren't writing their pods properly. I'm trying to think of a way to get around it, to account for some mistakes of the addon authors... I think its possible.. I used to be quite good with regular expressions. But I think I should first look up the pod format.
Lumberjack

Postby SrNupsen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 pm

Jackanape wrote:I have been following your progress with great interest, Lumberjack...I may have to learn some perl in 2007...

Oh yeah? Are you suggesting he's doing a shitty job? :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:58 pm

:D I guess he understands that even a little perl knowledge can get you somewhere :)
One thing I found useful is, if you want to find what part of the source generates a page, look at the url of that page in coranto. I think this is documented in the addon guide.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:16 am

LOL--what I meant was he's getting me sort of excited about the whole thing, and I want to be able to get in on the fun!

And, a little knowledge can be a bad thing, right? :lol:
Jackanape

Next

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development