Beta testers

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Beta testers

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:10 pm

The sourceforge cvs is up and running, so beta testers can now use CVS anonymously to get the latest files. Please test these in a fresh install, the data format is not compatible with the current version of coranto, and no upgrade script exists yet.
Report back any bugs and problems with your most essential addons, core features and anything else you can find which isn't quite working right.

Developers will need to sign up for sourceforge and get put on the coranto project. See closed dev forum regarding how to get set up.
Lumberjack

Re: Beta testers

Postby Jackanape » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Lumberjack wrote:See closed dev forum regarding how to get set up.

You won't be able to see the Closed Dev Forum if you aren't yet a member of the Dev Usergroup.
If you want to join in, just follow the Usergroup link above, and join the group! We need more people interested in getting their hands dirty!

Lumberjack, I want to thank you for taking the point on this SourceForge project. Most of it was out of my league, and I dreaded having to figure it out--heck, I had to find the time to figure it out, first, you know?--so I'm really glad to see you taking the bull by the horns here! With people like you involved in Coranto's future development, I think things are definitely looking brighter!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 pm

I've been away somewhat... has anything progressed?
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:20 pm

I think we've all been away, Jack. I'm not the only one, I'm sure,who sacrificed time meant for clients, etc, to get this rolling, so I suspect we're all trying to get caught up. In the next week or so, I want to try to get a meeting set up here in chat to discuss our next steps, and the like.

I will be gathering our lists all in one place this next week.

Hope all is well with you!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Sebastian » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:14 am

In my first post, I simply and wholeheartedly want to say "Thank You" to those who donate their time to keep this great Content Management Software and its development alive. While it may take some time to see the effects of all your work and build a new flourish community, I am absolutely sure that your efforts will pay off eventually. At the latest when this site is firing on all cylinders and Coranto is advertised through the numerous script resources on the web, more people should come and give Coranto a try.

IMHO, Coranto is too good to be ignored… :wink:
Sebastian

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:18 pm

I think I'd like to release the CVS version as an open beta, and appeal to the masses to test it. We really need vigorous multi user testing to establish what bugs exist and to fix them.
I should also make it clear that more of the people here who have some skills in perl, or an affinity to learn it, should step forward, as this is not a one-man job to get DEV ready to be released as 2.0.
I've done all I can for now, with some more developers I'm sure I could contribute further along the road.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Lumberjack wrote:I think I'd like to release the CVS version as an open beta, and appeal to the masses to test it. We really need vigorous multi user testing to establish what bugs exist and to fix them.
I should also make it clear that more of the people here who have some skills in perl, or an affinity to learn it, should step forward, as this is not a one-man job to get DEV ready to be released as 2.0.
I've done all I can for now, with some more developers I'm sure I could contribute further along the road.

I think that's an important reason for SourceForge. Once we can get it up there--I think it's the 1.25 version now, and we need the 1.31.5 version, right?--it would then be incumbent upon us to start posting around in CMS forums, etc, about its current beta testing status.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:32 pm

The CVS version is what I just call DEV, which is the latest development version. It's basically 1.31.5 (?) with a few changes as per the road map. They're documented here somewhere (changes and roadmap).
So please start spreading the word, yes! Beta testing is the main thing here, that is to check compatibility with all the addons. The other main thing is creating either an upgrade script, or upgrade instructions, for current coranto users. New users will have no major problems during setup, although I did have chmod problems (probably a server side issue).
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Wait a minute...so the DOWNLOAD version is 1.25, but the CVS version is 1.35? How is someone to download the 1.35 version for testing?

Please help me out here, I'm confused...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby SrNupsen » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm

In the SourceForge CVS browser, it only says "Coranto". Perhaps add the version number to avoid this type of confusion? :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coranto is free software. I am available for custom work or troubleshooting.

http://www.sundaune.no - transkripsjon, webdesign, nettsider, tekstbyrå
http://www.vagbladet.no - satire, politikk, kultur, sport, nettavis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SrNupsen

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:00 am

The idea is that the CVS version is constantly being developed and updated, so beta testers should be logging in to CVS to get the last minute updated files, then test that. The developers then fix any bugs, beta testers get new versions.. etc. So, the short answer is: use CVS.
Sr, I am not an expert on CVS, it was difficult enough for me to figure out how to get things uploaded to the current state, and I was happy with that :D you might notice that if you look inside that folder, each file has a revision number (and that this is wrong, as I couldn't figure out how to set it properly at first!)
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Ahhhh...I understand now...!

As I promised, I'm going to upload an updated version of 1.25.1 with all our fixes to the CVS, and give us all a few days to review the changes, and test the styles--the main fix--and we can release it.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:56 pm

To CVS or just to sourceforge?

Oh, I am sure that SrNupsen has correctly identified the problem, from what he's posted. So there should be no problems, and a quick release. I will test the changes asap on my local server.
Lumberjack

Postby Jackanape » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:38 pm

One quick question:

When I put it on CVS, do I put it up as a zip file, or not?

I'm setting everything up tonight...
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development