Coranto and it's flaws.

All notes and input on 2.0 Development are herein. <ul><li>Feature requests</li>
<li>Bug Reports</li>
<li>Beta Testing Feedback</li>
<li>Open Dev Discussion</li></ul>

Moderator: Coranto Moderator Team

Coranto and it's flaws.

Postby NitroX_infinity » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:06 pm

I'm not a developer, I use Coranto on and off (I've worked with NewsPro too) and feel I don't really have a say in this, but I'd like to say what's on my mind.

To get to the point immediately:

TABLES are NOT to be used for layout!
They are meant for presenting information like info about one or multiple items, corporate finances, etc. Basicaly, anything you'd put in a spreadsheet. You use div's and/or css positioning for layout.

CSS is NOT to be placed inside the HTML code!
Semantics; seperating make-up from content. Use of makeup HTML tags like <b>, <font>, <strong>, etc. is DEPRICATED, meaning no sane person uses them anymore. See this link for some info. CSS should be placed in an external file for easy access or in the header of a document (between <style> tags).

Addons should be in a sub-dir of where Coranto is located.
Prevents the Coranto dir from being cluttered.

Som harsh words, I know, but I cannot stress enough that Coranto in it's current form looks like it came from somewhere in the middle of the '90's.
NitroX_infinity

Postby Jackanape » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:06 pm

All your points are not only well-taken, but are in the process of being corrected...

If you haven't seen 1.31.5 under development yet, you should take a look. The directory structure is much as you recommend.

As for the table-less structure, the community gained the ability to go in and change this only this year...I'm on the second run-through now, removing the tables, and replacing them with divs and lists. There's lots more to be done, and I keep getting pulled away at the height of my effectiveness.

Why not join the team, and take a look at what I've done so far? You might be able to improve upon it, and take it even further.

There are many unique challenges and limitations, which I will be happy to espouse upon later.

What do you think? Want to take a look? The doors are open to do what needs to be done to take Coranto to the next level, we all just ned to step up and do what we can.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby NitroX_infinity » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:46 pm

I could try to help.
My PERL/CGI skills are negligible but my HTML and CSS skills are above average. I could look through things and suggest improvements.

Let me know what I have to do.
NitroX_infinity

Postby Jackanape » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Great, Nitro!

Let me put a package together for you to take a look at, and you can see what I missed...I'm still working on it, but as I said, I keep getting pulled away by other responsibilities.

One of the most unique challenges here--and limitation, at this point--is that perl doesn't natively use templates. So, the order of our HTML output is static, leaving is with a limited amount we can do with floats, etc, although truthfully, it still opens up worlds of possibilities, and takes the script a step closer to where it needs to be.

I'm not sure what you use for a local testing grounds, but I've been meaning to post up a set of instructions for UniformServer here...I'll get on that this week!

I look forward to hearing from you!
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Postby NitroX_infinity » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:59 pm

I usually use my own computer for HTML/CSS testing and if I'm using server-side includes I tend to go for a free netfirms account. Also have XAMPP installed.

I'm currently doing a lot with css positioning and have learned some nice things in the past few days but there still a lot to learn. floats aren't one of my strong points.

Also, does the html/css need to be friendly to older browsers? (IE6.0 and lower for example.)
NitroX_infinity

Postby Jackanape » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:42 am

Compliancy is another challenge, but certainly a must. At least back to IE6, possibly to 5.5...it seems most siteowners would be at least up to that standard by now...

There's always something to learn about CSS, isn't there? That's one of the reasons I love working with it.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jackanape

Return to Coranto 2.0 Development